Jinteki.net discussion

Yeah, I wanted to chime in here as well. I was one of the people voting against using Jinteki.net in the SHL, and I gave Jinteki.net another try a few days ago and have played some dozen games on it, and it’s REALLY REALLY a lot better than it was even six months ago. The over-all play experience is better and faster than OCTGN with more formal inclusion of the timing structure of a run, which is neat. The remaining bugs are pretty few and largely workable (except things like Escher, and I’ve noticed Street Peddler basically doesn’t work) and the experience feels less finnicky than OCTGN.

On top of all that, though, I can run it on Linux so I’m probably going to leave OCTGN behind entirely with the possible exception of SHL games. Thanks, @mtgred, you’ve made a wonderful online client!

7 Likes

I personally don’t care. I was just suggesting that as a fix, if others were really bent out of shape on the fact that people could scroll up and re-read.

I’ve been using jinteki.net over the past few days and as someone who has to run windows in a VM I think jinteki has permanently replaced octgn for me.

I have noticed that the competition is noticeably worse, though.

3 Likes

Yeah, I haven’t played a single competitive deck yet there (110% of people are testing Geist). That said, I also don’t play competitive decks, so there’s that.

1 Like

This is a bad rule and they should change it.

On topic, based on my sample size of 2, jinteki.net is approx. 100x better now than it was 6 months ago, unlike OCTGN which is moving in the opposite direction. It’s really encouraging to see a strong online platform develop like this, and it’s a pretty impressive piece of work IMO.

6 Likes

Perhaps it’s time for a Stimhack Jinteki.net League?

2 Likes

That was me. :slight_smile:
I took a look at the code and, uh, it’s kinda difficult to implement something like Escher. I may go look at OCTGN if its source is open to see how it’s solved there.

1 Like

Depending how ice is arranged you can probably do it like how Jinteki does indexing but have the ice positions highlighted while the cards are off to the side and then just drag to the ice positions(or click)

That’s one way of doing it, and likely the ‘best’ but also most complicated.
I’d thought of trying to do it through the menu options; Take all the ICE and put them in a list, then go server by server asking which ICE to place down next for each server until all the ICE has been placed…

The problem is that doing it that way is complicated in Clojure. I also ran out of excess time to look into it…

1 Like

all ok, except working with lists is not complicated in clojure :smile:

I’m 100% in when this happens. I think we should wait until the end of SHL5 though so as not to fragment the player base.

4 Likes

That’s a possible solution. But then it’s tedious to save the number of ices on each server and enforce that it stays the same after the shuffling.

Another solution is a manual ICE swap by drag and dropping an ICE onto another. It would allow to resolve Sunset and Tenma Line too!

8 Likes

All my code in OCTGN is open source, but there the coding is easier on these things, since by default OCTGN acts as a blank tabletop, and I implement all scripting on top of that.

2 Likes

You could do Escher just by prompting the runner for if they want to swap two pieces of ice until they’re done moving ice around.

That seems the easiest way to do it with the code that’s already there.

1 Like

Totally - I’ve always thought of Escher as “swap two pieces of ICE” with an arbitrary finite number of repetitions. Seems the easiest way to avoid messing it up.

2 Likes

I still prefer OCTGN over jinteki everyday of the week, but with only a chromebook during my break at work, it’s a nice alternative. But most of my props have to go to db0 and his work on the OCTGN platform.

1 Like

its not a topic about octgn.

Wanting to discuss jinteki.net without mentioning OCTGN? Sure, whatever

5 Likes

It seems pretty relevant, since it’s the direct substitute. I mean, it’d be silly to talk about Aurora without mentioning Corroder, no?

4 Likes

Wait, are you SURE? Oh my, he must’ve misread the title.