Jinteki.net discussion

thought I’d come on here to voice this very opinion. it’s very usable now; implementaion is still coming along, but honestly even doing things manually for un-implemented cards feels easier sometimes that doing the same thing on an implemented card in OCTGN.

This is definitely my (electronic) platform of choice now - I’m hoping soon more of the stimhack community will come over from time to time and get some real talent in the pool!

(p.s.: big props to the devs who are doing an awesome job creating the online netrunner I actually want to play. Support them if you like what you see!)

3 Likes

I had played Jinteki.net about 6 months ago and had a very uncomfortable experience. However, I had an urge to go see this platform last week and was left very surprised. Everything ran so smooth and nice, it was such a pleasure to play. I haven’t played on OCTGN since then :smiley: The lag is minimal, I can run multiple memory-hungry programs on my old pc at the same time and everything is just very cool.

I do, however, have a few problems. I very dislike the fact that during multiaccess the cards you accessed appear in chat. It decreases playskill - you no longer have to remember what you saw, you can just simply look it up (a function I’ve never used myself, but if a tournament of some sort would be held on jinteki, it would provide a lot of problems). Also, there are some cards that are not functional, like escher. I had a very weird game when the opponent used escher and we had to do everything manually, trashing all ice, moving to hq, installing them.

In a tournament scenario, you can’t prevent serious players from simply using pen and paper to record information so I wouldn’t worry about that.

OCTGN displays in the log when cards are revealed for Celebrity Gift, Inject, etc and it mostly just benefits both players by saving time waiting for the other player to read what you revealed.

3 Likes

From the rulebook:

2 Likes

And you prove that when people are sat at home on their PCs how exactly?

2 Likes

Sure, you can’t prove that people aren’t taking notes over the internet. I like to think that Netrunner people are for the most part, honest, upstanding folks.

I think something cool to implement for this would be:

Access one at a time, via a pop-up window, similar to the ones they have now. Then when you’re done accessing them one by one, have another pop-up stating every card that you’ve seen in order. Then you would be prompted “Are you done reading these cards?” And you’d hit yes when you’re done. After that, they go away. No appearances in the chat window at all. Just the little pop-ups.

1 Like

oof, yeah, that’s a bad one. it’s definitely true that a few on the un-implemented cards are a real pain in the butt - this sounds like the worst case I’ve heard of so far. in 90% of cases there’s a relatively easy workaround (for example, Nasir is wonky at best, and utterly broken at worst, but all you have to do to fix it is adjust credits at the end of a given encounter.) but a few like escher are so bad you basically don’t want to play them.

Just tried jinteki.net for the second time (first was about half a year ago). I am really impressed! Works so much better now. Definitely enough to have some fun with friends and test some decks!

Is it ready for online competitive games (leagues, etc.)? I would say not yet, but it is getting there. Had a game where corp blitzed an agenda before I was allowed to scream “Cloooooot”. Turned out there was no way to rollback this stuff.

3 Likes

Yeah, not ready for competitive games yet, I agree. It’s close though!

I think clot is a direct assault on online clients, and then maybe fast advance a little bit.

3 Likes

Do you really care if people scroll up the OCTGN log to see what was in hand for a celeb gift? If you don’t want that, then prepare for delays as I make a mnemonic in order to remember stuff…

2 Likes

Yeah, I wanted to chime in here as well. I was one of the people voting against using Jinteki.net in the SHL, and I gave Jinteki.net another try a few days ago and have played some dozen games on it, and it’s REALLY REALLY a lot better than it was even six months ago. The over-all play experience is better and faster than OCTGN with more formal inclusion of the timing structure of a run, which is neat. The remaining bugs are pretty few and largely workable (except things like Escher, and I’ve noticed Street Peddler basically doesn’t work) and the experience feels less finnicky than OCTGN.

On top of all that, though, I can run it on Linux so I’m probably going to leave OCTGN behind entirely with the possible exception of SHL games. Thanks, @mtgred, you’ve made a wonderful online client!

7 Likes

I personally don’t care. I was just suggesting that as a fix, if others were really bent out of shape on the fact that people could scroll up and re-read.

I’ve been using jinteki.net over the past few days and as someone who has to run windows in a VM I think jinteki has permanently replaced octgn for me.

I have noticed that the competition is noticeably worse, though.

3 Likes

Yeah, I haven’t played a single competitive deck yet there (110% of people are testing Geist). That said, I also don’t play competitive decks, so there’s that.

1 Like

This is a bad rule and they should change it.

On topic, based on my sample size of 2, jinteki.net is approx. 100x better now than it was 6 months ago, unlike OCTGN which is moving in the opposite direction. It’s really encouraging to see a strong online platform develop like this, and it’s a pretty impressive piece of work IMO.

6 Likes

Perhaps it’s time for a Stimhack Jinteki.net League?

2 Likes

That was me. :slight_smile:
I took a look at the code and, uh, it’s kinda difficult to implement something like Escher. I may go look at OCTGN if its source is open to see how it’s solved there.

1 Like

Depending how ice is arranged you can probably do it like how Jinteki does indexing but have the ice positions highlighted while the cards are off to the side and then just drag to the ice positions(or click)

That’s one way of doing it, and likely the ‘best’ but also most complicated.
I’d thought of trying to do it through the menu options; Take all the ICE and put them in a list, then go server by server asking which ICE to place down next for each server until all the ICE has been placed…

The problem is that doing it that way is complicated in Clojure. I also ran out of excess time to look into it…

1 Like