Laramy Fisk: No, YOU draw

Since I started the thread, I’ve gotten in some games with him (using a HQI/Gang Sign/Sneakdoor approach).

The deck feels really powerful if and only if I can land the siphon train and keep the Corp poor. A poor corp can’t use the cards they get. A rich corp just uses them to punish you. My econ is classic Criminal, and if it gets shut down, it’s a sad day at the financial investor’s office.

I’ve also been experimenting with Fisk Investment Seminar in Valencia, using I. Journalism and I. Protesters. If I can get an extra bad pub or two early it can work ok, but it hasn’t been consistent at all. If only SOT worked with FIS there might be something there, but it’s just not panning out for me.

1 Like

I played something similar yesterday at a small GNK tournament and actually won all 3 games. At least one of my opponents was a newer player and there was a lot of testing going on, so take that with a grain of salt. :smiley:

Fausty Fisk

Laramy Fisk: Savvy Investor (The Universe of Tomorrow)

Event (19)
3x Account Siphon (Core Set)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
2x Drive By (The Underway)
3x Fisk Investment Seminar (The Universe of Tomorrow)
1x Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control) [color=#32CD32]•••[/color]
2x Special Order (Core Set)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
2x The Maker’s Eye (Core Set) ••••

Hardware (7)
3x Desperado (Core Set)
2x HQ Interface (Humanity’s Shadow)
2x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)

Resource (12)
2x Bank Job (Core Set)
2x Earthrise Hotel (The Source)
1x Eden Shard i[/i] •
3x Gang Sign (The Underway)
2x Kati Jones (Humanity’s Shadow)
2x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)

Icebreaker (7)
1x Corroder (Core Set) ]••
3x Faerie (Future Proof)
2x Faust (The Underway) ••••
1x Mimic (Core Set)

Program (2)
2x Sneakdoor Beta (Core Set)
15 influence spent (max 15)
47 cards (min 45)
Cards up to The Universe of Tomorrow

Decklist published on NetrunnerDB.

I won against Chronos Protocol by decking them. Ho got too poor by scoring a TFP in the mid game and I was able to Siphon twice and keep him poor enough after that so that he couldn’t score anything else. Not having a Crick on archives was big. Crick is just a nightmare for Sneakdoor plays. :frowning:
The other two matches were against HB ETF. The first didnt’t draw enough ICE and most important: He never got a Turing. I got 3 agendas out of his hand with Sneakdoor and HQI.
In the other game IIRC I got 2 agendas out of his scoring server with Siphon/Faust/Faerie.

Influence choices:
Levy is my “oh shit”-button against program trashing or too much damage. I never used it yesterday but in my test games on OCTGN it came in handy against PE and similar stuff. In longer games it also helps to get back some Siphons.
Faust is just really great to land the important Siphons. The deck doesn’t have enough card draw to spam runs with Faust but with FIS you normally have enough for the key runs. I think I have to add a decoder somehow, if only for Turing. 1 or 2 Rex should actually be enough.
Mimic against Architect, Corroder for Baku/Wraparound/Wall of Static as usual.
Eden Shard can be fun but I don’t get to use it too often. Maybe I will cut this.
Maker’s Eye is in there because I want at least some R&D multiaccess. And the corp often has its hand full with protecting HQ and archives against Siphon/Sneakdoor so R&D only lightly protected.

I would love to have more draw but I don’t really know where to get it. Tested Drug Dealer and found that it can really badly wreck your economy. But that was before I added Kati, maybe I will try out the DD again.
Economy is fine usually. If I’m able to land Siphons I get my money there, otherwise Kati is enough. Bank Job is just awesome. :smiley:

Drive By is actually important to snipe SanSans or Caprice/Ash, if the corp lets you do that …

My biggest problem: I hate to remove tags after a Siphon but I really want to play Gang Sign … It’s really annoying for the corp, when they’re are setting up for score and then get hit by FIS/Gang Sign/HQI.

1 Like

I know, I’ve been having the same problem with priority events. I feel insane whenever I have to go back a step just to reorder my turn. Also, your post makes Early Bird a very sad card

1 Like

Where are people at with Fisk? Is he bad but fun to play, bad and not fun to play. Good? I admit, I haven’t been playing much Netrunner recently so I haven’t had the chance to sleeve a deck with him.

The problem with Fisk is that unlike Gabe,Leela or Andy,you need a lot of set up to make your ability useful.Without a decent set up,making corp draw 1 extra card per turn is more positive than negative for corp,since it’s a meta of NEH sponsorship and HB FA,the former one loves extra cards,the latter one knows how to deal with extra cards.Sure FIS + Fisk + Gang Sign sounds sweet,but I promise you as a Leela player FIS + Gang Sign is far more decent in Leela.This ability is a passive ability since it mainly effect the corp and it does not help Fisk himself,like improve his own running efficiency or somewhat.
Of course I believe Fisk may be shining with a little more surport,but currently I’m not very optimstic about him,let alone the Worlds.A good corp knows how to deal with extra cards,and I think there will be a lot of good corp players in the Worlds right?

Siphon spam early game into a DLR fueled mill fest mid game. Only make the corp draw when they’re broke (on less than 3 bucks). Trash all the assets. I really like the guy.

2 Likes

Every time I play on OCTGN against Fisk, it’s like we’re playing co-op mode and the Runner is actively helping me to score out. What a champ.

“Here, have the econ/agenda/ICE that you were hoping to draw anyway, without spending a click!”

11 Likes

“HAHA EVIL CORP! TRY AND PLAY THIS…HEDGE FUNNDDDD!”

4 Likes

This was my takeaway as well. I basically tested “good stuff” criminal with a couple FIS’s. In most matchups, I ended up just feeling like 5-card andy. (which, actually, is fine. blue still has teeth, despite the conventional wisdom) in thos games when I could keep the corp poor though, fisk + seminar becomes a brutal win-more combo (I don’t mean this as an insult; win-more can be important in netrunner because of the variable pace of the game).

Overall, I don’t think this ID is dead at all, but it does fall into the exile-like trap, where it’s not bad per se, it’s just never the best choice it seems.

3 Likes

Yeah, I think he’s the only ID in the game (for both sides) with text that is worse than a blank 45/15. Drawing cards for free is good for the Corp. Don’t play an ID with downside and certainly don’t play FIS.

If you do insist on playing Fisk or FIS, do not play them with DLR. That deck is a race to who can score faster. It wins by mill sometimes, but those games are ones where the game’s probably in archives but it’s not correct to check it just yet. Do not help the Corp out by giving them three free cards to your one or spending one of your clicks to let them draw. Speeding the Corp up in a deck meant to race is not good.

FIS and Fisk’s ability can be really good sometimes, but the situations where you Siphon them to 0 and make them draw a bunch of cards are situations you’re winning anyway. It’s hard to get them to that point when making a successful run is punishing and gives the Corp an easier time getting their money and defences. Playing an ID that’s only kind of an upside against some decks when the Corp’s on zero and a downside every other time is not the way to win.

I get that some people like to play suboptimal IDs because playing things that other people don’t play is exciting to them, but an ID that actively helps the Corp is surely not anywhere close to best choice? If you insist on a bad Criminal, play Silhouette or Iain or something maybe? It’s not that I’m opposed to people jank or bad IDs that they like or something, but I find it hard to even implicitly recommend an ID that helps the Corp out, since that will just warp that player’s card evaluation.

5 Likes

Fisk seems a very strange Criminal. You’d need to basically be utterly focused on HQ - more than Gabe even. Maybe Nerve Agent and/or Sneakdoor, maybe Pheromones. It’s hard to see it working.

1 Like

If you’re going in strongly on the Gang Sign plan, FIS (and presumably Fisk himself) does help ensure the corp has agendas in hand when they score. I don’t think going all in on Gang Sign is that great an idea, but it’s better than Pheromones/Nerve Agent etc - it was more effective than I’d expected. It’s not going to be competitive any time soon, but it can be kind of fun to mess around with.

3 Likes

I can’t wrap my head around Fisk and probably will never play him. I was just starting Netrunner when the plugged in Tour was happening and I remember that in testing on OCTGN The Collective was very strong and was shocked to see Fisk win. Although in that environment, the corps were significantly weaker and the prevailing wisdom was as a corp you didn’t want to draw cards. It was also much easier to keep the corp poor and Account siphon was more impactful. Now with Jackson Howard, Agenda flood is less of an issue.

1 Like

Yep I think that is correct. You need to plan on capitalising on those extra cards in HQ (either trashing them, or hoovering up agendas) for the ID ability to be worthwhile.

The only other thing that seems like it might possibly be a worthwhile use of the ability, in theory at least, would be some kind of Woman in the Red Dress/Deep Thought/Globalsec Security Clearance plan, using Fisk’s ability as a kind of pseudo-Imp to remove the top card of R&D if it’s not what you want to see on an R&D run. Whether there is a viable deck to be built around that is probably a very different question!

I think it’s as simple as keeping the corp as broke as possible, and then firing him and badgering HQ when they are. The mill engine works well for him I’ve found but playing it slightly differently to Val in that you rather lay out your resources and invite trashing rather than settle into the combo.

So he actually seems to be pretty effective if you spam Siphon/FIS with Faust and Levy with Nerve Agent for access. Half the time you mill the corp out with all the FISing. The only problem is the extra 2 from Gabe every turn is probably still better.

Actually been tinkering with a Fisk list post-MWL. Hasn’t been half bad.

I Fisked Your Mother

Laramy Fisk: Savvy Investor

Event (17)
3x Account Siphon
3x Dirty Laundry
3x Drive By
1x Déjà Vu ••
3x Fisk Investment Seminar
1x Levy AR Lab Access •••
3x Special Order

Hardware (4)
3x R&D Interface ••••• •
1x Turntable ••

Resource (19)
2x Crash Space
3x Daily Casts
3x Drug Dealer
3x Gang Sign
2x John Masanori
3x Same Old Thing
3x Security Testing

Icebreaker (5)
1x Breach
2x Faerie
1x Faust ••
1x Passport

15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to The Universe of Tomorrow

Deck built on http://netrunnerdb.com.

2 Likes

I like this title so much that I clicked “like” on a Fisk deck.

1 Like

Love me some Fisk. I’m still on the DLR path but should really give these aggro builds a bit more of a run.

I built a deck and played some games against locals, unfortunately I wasn’t playing against very tuned decks. I ended up 3-1 for the night, one loss because a friend made a Making News deck focused on program destruction (power shutdowns, Kala Ghoda Real TV’s to snipe from your deck, it seemed pretty functional to me) and I lost both of my Corroders very early… Wraparounds everywhere :frowning:

Laramy Fisk: Savvy Investor (The Universe of Tomorrow)

Event (17)

Hardware (6)

Resource (12)

Icebreaker (7)

Program (3)

13 influence spent (max 15-2☆=13)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Kala Ghoda

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

Reflecting on how the games went, I’m going to test out -1 DDoS, -2 HQI, -1 Pheromones for +1 Inside Job, +1 Nerve Agent, +1 Desperado, +1 Gang Sign. I know people talked about it up thread, but the Medium big dig synergy is real. All 3 wins were from seeing more cards from R&D than I ought to have by making them draw stuff I’d already seen. Gang Sign was also awesome. Trigger Laramy a bunch to force them to over draw, slowly increasing the agenda density in HQ so that if they go to score I can get a free(ish) poke in there. I scored a 2-pointer every game with Gang Sign. The 3rd Desperado should be added, but I am one of those 2-core set losers.

So what’s the deal? Anyone else interested in this douche? I’m a pretty shit criminal player, but for some reason I can’t help but try to make a playable Fisk deck.

1 Like