Limbhack (A Game of Thrones, 2nd Ed:)

I have one core currently and it’s great for teaching friends with the recommended decks. To play real games I’m using OCTGN–if you use that for Netrunner, maybe check out the game there first, where you can make decks not bound by physical or financial restrictions.

When the game officially releases, I think you’d be fine with 1 or 2 core sets. I wouldn’t get three until you are really sure you want to get in. You need to find people to play with, after all.

1 Like

I think two is not a bad starting point. There are some key cards for various archetypes that you will want 3 of, but I’m good with proxies until store championship season!

Speaking of archetypes, what are the common ones at the minute? I was looking at some NW decks and my first thoughts were of the VtES weenie decks (imagine if they did a VtES LCG…).

1 Like

The most common I’ve seen is Greyjoy with a Baratheon banner. It’s very powerful since the two factions have some of the best cards and the cards have great synergy. You basically import Mel and most of the R’hllor cards to kneel your opponent’s characters and stealth past the rest for unopposed bonuses. Maester Cressen helps with Milk. There are some really good plots that synergize as well.

2 Likes

Tight, ill check that out.

Not much to contribute competitively yet, just wanted to drop by and say that I’m really enjoying the game so far!

It’s a very “classic” feeling card game in a way. My friend and I were playing and very few rules needed to be repeated because everything seemed to build off MTG era templating and mechanics, perhaps with the exception of things like Dominance and Duplicates. Keywords seemed intuitive, it was immediately apparent how great something like Insight is, and the rule book and Learn to Play was good. I think FFG has gotten better at Core Set rulebooks since Netrunner.

I certainly haven’t gotten around to every house and combination yet, but I’m thinking about maining Lannisters for a while. Night’s Watch was cool, but it kind of felt like playing defense the whole time. Martell also seemed a little… thinly spread? Also consensus seems to be Baratheon and Greyjoy are the powerhouses, but some of the Rh’llor cards seemed a little situational to me. Is that incorrect?

How are people going about building aggro vs. control? Does such a thing as curve really exist when you have a 8 gold set up?

Overall I’m super excited about the game. I assume the Worlds tournament is full, but it would be great to get some pick up games.

3 Likes

I’ve been enjoying it a lot as well. It’s much more fun with real cards than on OCTGN, because games can be sloggier than Netrunner.

It’s been too hard to main for me, I like to try everything out, but I had a NW/Bara deck that played really nicely. Baratheon can be shitty to play against, for sure. Getting your board wiped by a Stark double claim military challenge with Ice on the board and Put to the Sword in hand can be shitty. But it’s also really fun when you are able to make plays like that :wink:

R’hllor cards aren’t all that great without Mel on the board, certainly. Having Robert land on the scene after Stannis and Mel have done their work is truly intimidating.

I’ll definitely have my cards with me at Worlds and would love to play some games.

Has anybody made an uncensored image pack for this game? I want to play it, but having only played 20ish games in person I am far from knowing what all the cards do, and the censored images make it harder.

Anyone fancy playing a few practice games against me on octgn? Iv read the rules, watched the videos, but havent played a serious game yet and its driving me nuts.

I could help you out.

1 Like

Thanks a bunch, i really appreciate it :slight_smile: when is good for you? Im in the UK with regards timezone mind.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/9/28/no-middle-ground/

First Snow reprint with some slight changes is pretty big news. I know it’s a while off but I’m really looking forward to it being in the game , its a plot you can really build a game plan around.

1 Like

Wraiths in Their Midst could be combined with Alannys Greyjoy for some intense disruption, especially on setup.

Though with an initiative of 1 on Wraiths it will be rare you’ll get first player to trigger Alannys.

I forgot that qualification. It’s like they designed it that way ON PURPOSE. :open_mouth:

Anyone pick up their cards yet? I have a full play set now and looking forward to some games with real cards. Also looking for good chat crew. Cardgamedb forum is fairly annoying. Maybe Netrunners are just cooler.

1 Like

I got my 3 cores on Tuesday and got my first 3 games in last night. I really enjoyed the game and am looking forward to playing it more.

1 Like

Have you played on OCTGN yet, or are you coming to the game fresh?

The tournament–is it for one core box only? If so you are in good shape. If the tourney, however, allows for people to play with three core sets, you might be at a disadvantage.

1 Like

My store didnt get any in, but im planning on getting 2 core to start. This weekend should be a fun time if we get it before then.

I’ll need to come out to the Philly netrunner thing sometime and get some ANR and thrones in. :3

1 Like

I didn’t like on OCTGN but I’ve played IRL 6 times or so. The tourney is supposed to be 1 core kingslayer format.

1 Like