Limbhack (A Game of Thrones, 2nd Ed:)

Grey Wind only kills those when you also have Robb Stark in play.

I think Vanguard of the North is a really bad card, and I don’t think it should see play outside some janky Stark-Targ thing abusing Khal Drogo to military several times a turn.

1 Like

But every deck is playing 3x Robb. That’s like saying “Bara Kneel only really works with Melisandre, it’s bad”. I know to some extent that’s not true, as there is Consolidation and Stannis, but you get what I’m saying.

Intimidate has proven to be a very good keyword, and it’s not like Stark has anything better to play. Sansa is already ‘too slow’ in the Core Set meta and like you said, Vanguard is bad, so there’s plenty of room for Grey Wind. People are even playing more than 1x Rattleshirts and Wildlings over Grey Wind!

Even without Robb you murder reducers if you need to, and have the option to not use the ability and Intimidate something for your Stark’s core strategy, Military and surprise bonus claim.

A board with Arya and Grey Wind is practically unblockable.

Greywind is better than vanguard, but still not great due to costing 5. I run it as a 1of, would not go above that though. Stark is already good at killing things with ice, and mono-con for 5 is hard to justify.

1 Like

Grey Wind and Robb are pretty scary though. They clear out weenies for your Ice and 2 or 3 claim military challenges to really do damage.

But it can also be hard to marshall that much coin and also fend off other challenges.

Grey Wind is pretty sweet with Robb out as you can kneel him to kill one of your Winterfell Stewards or a Pup, and stand your whole board including Grey Wind.

You could also just trigger Robb after you let the goddamn 1 claim military your opponent is going to chuck at you through instead of investing in this janky combo that can backfire if you’re playing against Lanny.

Am I misunderstanding. That either wins Dominance (if you’re first player) or does nothing (if you’re second). What have I missed?

You can stand people up in the middle of the Challenges phase and then attack or defend with them again. It’s really good.

Sure, but if you’re using your opponent’s military claim as the trigger, the natural place for military challenge becomes very first, or very last. So the advantage (without triggering it with Grey Wind) is somewhat diminished. It’s obviously a strong effect but it seems relatively easy to play around.

I’m on Tyrell now. Prettiest colored faction. Been having fun and some success with this deck.

http://thronesdb.com/decklist/view/327/rose-and-lion-1.0

1 Like

Played more Thrones tonight at my local LCG night. My friend was playing Greyjoy, and it seemed pretty damn good. Lannisters had trouble keeping up with the power challenges, although it was pretty easy to get off intrigue.

Asha is a powerhouse. Balon is a powerhouse.

Pillage doesn’t seem super important.

It seems like high initiative plots (which mine generally are not) are very good, atleast in military heavy decks.

The Iron Throne seems really good, might go up to 2.

1 Like

Yep, I’ve found that initiative is way more important than I had thought, and have changed up my plots because it’s critical in some turns to choose turn order. Particularly the one in which someone could win the game.

Pillage doesn’t seem great until Euron hits the board. Stealing Kingsroads and Red Keeps and the like is bonkers.

This game desperately needs a Limb Hack forum, similar to this one. With the exception of a couple people, the posters on cardgamedb are…ehh less than helpful

8 Likes

They also seem to have an exceptionally silly “netdecking is bad” personal policy, which I will never understand.

3 Likes

Yeah having listened to some of the Game of Thrones podcasts recently I really don’t understand their competitive scene.

Beyond the Wall is nice. They are pleasant dudes.

1 Like

There simply aren’t many decklists to netdeck. The worlds deck 1st place from last year weren’t released for months afterwards, and we still don’t have the top gencon decks if I’m not mistaken. We will probably see them in a few days now that the top 2 decks at gencon have been restricted to oblivion.

People are somewhat secretive in Thrones, depending on what meta they are from, test in little groups, and then keep it secret even after the tournament they were preparing for was over in case they want to use it in another tournament.

The competitive scene was nowhere near as large as Netrunner, Stimhack League isn’t going on with people jumping in and out with various decks, Acoo database and Stimhack aren’t keeping track of various top finishing decklists. 2.0 should be different(I hope). Considering Netrunner isn’t that big, its not hard to imagine a world where new players would have a hard time finding a deck to netdeck.

^^Beyond the Wall are very nice, Darknoj helped me put together my deck for Canadian Nationals, while making fun of our small turnout of course :P.

3 Likes

There is someone posting decks under the name of mediohxcore on thronesdb.com. Is that Dan??

Not sharing the decklists for Worlds or GenCon for a year is a culture shock, coming from just about any other game. The podcasters are trying to start a movement for 2.0 to get people to post tournament winning lists to help promote the game for new folks. I don’t think the DC meta has signed up though, and my impression is that they are a big part of the 1.0 hyper competitive secretive culture, just from listening to them on the podcasts over and over

2 Likes

I look forward to conquering this “hyper competitive secretive culture” and converting them to our progressive netrunner ways. Now if only the tournaments would start up so I could start putting up some results :smile:

2 Likes

Probably. We played some when I was over there for the PSI games, and have been talking decks some since.