Limbhack (A Game of Thrones, 2nd Ed:)

Not yet but I imagine the cardgamedb one will be up soon. I have been using the OCTGN builder and it’s fine and sufficient for now. But it will be nice to be able to waste time building decks on a web-based browser.

Didn’t @Alsciende hint that he might be working in AGOTdb? On reddit maybe?

He posted this pic on Twitter a few weeks ago.

Posted a few hours ago that…
“I expect to launch a deckbuilder for AGoT2 in 2 weeks, August 16.”

13 Likes

Excellent!

I should be playing some OCTGN games for the next hour or two. stevehouston on OCTGN, PM me here or in-game.

How are you enjoying the game thus far and how does it compare to Netrunner. It seems like the plot deck mechanic offers a lot of bluffs and counter plays is this true?

So far so good. I like the idea of playing a symmetrical game after so much asymmetric Netrunner. It’s fun to bash characters against each other–I couldn’t get into Hearthstone, and MTG is MTG, not getting into that.

The plot mechanic is great to avoid the whole “I can’t find any money” issue, and there are many built-in control elements to mitigate some of the swingyness of the game. That said, if your opponent gets really good draw and drops a bunch of big guys you can’t deal with, you are kinda screwed.

I was a book reader way before the show was even announcd (twirls hipster-stache), so the GoT world flavor/mechanics are fascinating. Very cool how they’ve tied mechanics to characters. As you would expect from FFG, it’s highly polished and well designed.

I would say Netrunner definitely will always be the king of the bluff and diversion game, but of the games in which you bash characters against each other, GoT has got a unique thing going on, with the 3 challenge types and the absence of bad resource draw.

7 Likes

Checking out the OCTGN interface now, but it seems pretty unplayable without card images. Does anyone have an image pack they’re willing to share?

This should have all you need:

Check out that forum for good deck ideas.

3 Likes

Thanks!

Thank you!

Also, when you install the card packs and try to play you’ll notice all the art is still missing. Here is the fix:

After the censored image pack is installed, try moving all files from

~\OCTGN\ImageDatabase"XXXXXXGAME OF THRONES IDXXXXXX"\Cards\Crops
to
~\OCTGN\ImageDatabase"XXXXXXGAME OF THRONES IDXXXXXX"\Cards\

Hi Steve, thx for yesterdays game :smile:

1 Like

[quote=“steve_houston, post:107, topic:4075”]
That said, if your opponent gets really good draw and drops a bunch of big guys you can’t deal with, you are kinda screwed.[/quote]

That just means his claim was stronger

Aye, the big guys in some factions are so synergistic that, if your opponent gets them set up quickly, the power multiplier on them is nearly unstoppable! Stannis, Robert and Mel are bonkers together!

That said the core does come with the tools to mitigate such strong starts with the likes of Wildfire Assault, Varys, Milk of the Poppy, Tears of Lys, etc. To be consistent in the core-only environment you really need to build for recovering from bad starts.

I quite like the idea of the Lannister control deck I read about somewhere, that can turtle-up the first number of turns using plots like Calm over Westeros and A Game of Thrones. Then drop and pop Varys turn 3-4 to clear the board. Hopefully your intrigue challenges have cleared their hand by that point too.

Another example from the other night. Guy had a great start, Dany, Jorah, a dragon, Margaery Tyrell & someone else. He raced up to 8 power by turn 3. I had Wildling Horde, Aemon, and Ghost out but couldn’t even attack or defend because of the threat of Dracarys! But turn 3; I Wildfired, turn 4; dropped 12 gold worth of characters of Marching Orders and turn 5; Milk-of-the-Poppied Dany. I won in turn eight or nine, 15 power to 4. Resets win games! Don’t leave home without them.

3 Likes

Is there a centralized place where decklists are being posted? CGDB doesn’t even have a builder for 2.0 yet.

I like this game, but I’m pretty worried about balance and snowballing. Thus far I’ve been absolutely demolishing people with an aggressive Targaryen deck and it hasn’t particularly been close - the “punish your opponent” cards (Plaza of Punishment, Marched to the Wall) seem much stronger than the comeback ones (Wildfire Assault, Varys).

I think I’m currently something silly like 20-1 with this deck and almost every game is a blowout. I never played the old Thrones but am easily beating people who have played for years. It’s a fun diversion while I wait for Tyranids to come out on OCTGN, but as it stands I seriously doubt this will replace Conquest as my main game.

2 Likes

Somehow this seems like an unveiled attempt to disparage a new game in an attempt to sway people over to your game of choice.

2 Likes

I make no bones about the fact that I think Conquest is currently the best of the LCGs for competitive play, and Thrones hasn’t particularly swayed me there. That said, I still think Thrones is a cool game and I’m probably going to stick with it for a while because it is by far the best multiplayer LCG option, and a lot of my friends prefer multiplayer to 1v1 games.

Different games are good for different things!

Fair enough. I’m still pretty hyped to try it.