OFFICIAL Stimhack OCTGN League PART II

I think I actually prefer playing against NEH to playing against RP.

2 Likes

definitely

I do enjoy to play with and against NEH.
Way more than playing against Glacier anyway.

2 Likes

I hated playing against astrobiotics when it was just ok in TWIY and I hate it even more now that I lose to it more. Any NBN deck without Biotic Labor is great fun to play against though.

1 Like

Yeah agreed. I think the game becomes a farce any time Fastro NEH is played.

I donā€™t think itā€™s a farce, and I donā€™t even think itā€™s bad form to play it. Everyone takes beef with playing against something, and itā€™s no oneā€™s job to make sure their opponents like their deck or not. I, personally, just dislike playing against NEH. I feel like too many games come down to coin flips. Itā€™s not like itā€™s a no-skill game or anything, itā€™s just that the best you can do against it largely depends on how fast they happen to put together Biotic + Astro and then how good you are at random accesses after that. Some games, you canā€™t expect to get more than 30% against an average player just because of how they drew. Personally, I think that a great player is better off not playing NEH in most cases, because it can just lose to a slow draw.

The frustrating thing to me is feeling like I played a game really well and still lost, and there wasnā€™t a lot I could have done about it. I prefer playing a game where it lasts a long time, I have to make tough choices, and outplaying your opponent is rewarded with a win a very large percentage of the time.

But Iā€™ll reiterate: everyone should play whatever they want.

12 Likes

I like playing against NEH except when it affects my ELO :wink:

1 Like

The above situation is exactly what I meant about the game becoming a farce. Knowing that you played a game nigh perfectly and still not coming away with a win a lot of the time is just terrible.

However, to each their own.

Well, for the league games, sometimes (always for me) you play late in the night, tired after work. You play the difficult and brain taxing runner and then you have to play something quick, strong and not so brain taxing since the decisions in a quick game are less. You play neh for that.

Also, fast active decks with risk taking are more my style than glacier builds. Taxman by mediohcore was probably the best NBN to play for me, something that combined both sides.

And please, no rp. Elp and rp just make me sad and are also a farce;-)

Iā€™m sure everyone can easily play 6-8 hours of OCTGN ANR every day, no problem! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

This is exactly how I feel when playing against glaciers (especially with 8 or less agenda totals). Whiffing a 5-card RnD dig and then whiffing a 3-card HQ dig sorta makes a person go ā€œfuck this, why do I botherā€. Then the game takes another 30 minutes to close with the agendas you keep miraculously missing.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s an argument that says if you believe you are the better player, you probably want the game to go longer, and youā€™ll more opportunities to execute superior decision making to your opponent and take the win.

So itā€™s all very well you saying that, while for a lot of people playing against you, theyā€™re happy to lean on the variance of NEH.

2 Likes

I played about 30 games with RP. It was fine, but everyone started to tech up against it (those Switchblade) so I changed to my GFā€™s non-biotics NEH and itā€™s been very refreshing. Good old Netrunner, making agendas behind Wraparound and Quandary.

1 Like

Anyone would think we were playing a game that was fundementally about randomly picking cards off the top of a deck or something :smile:.

(I feel your pain though, having had that happen to me twice against NEH at the weekend and then playing glacier watching the runner pick five points out of R&D on turn 2)

Who doesnā€™t :-P?

Anyway, draft is IMHO what the game should feel like, especially a well constructed, repeatedly played cube draft.

Itā€™s exactly the same when you whiff 5-6 time the psi-game on TFP.
How itā€™s outplaying your opponent when it comes to a couple of dice roll to steal an agenda ?

Everytime iā€™m playing against RP, it comes down on how I can steal a TFP on a central. If Iā€™m able to steal one, itā€™s almost certain Iā€™m gonna win. If I donā€™t, the game is pretty much over for me because iā€™ve to steal at least 2 NAPD to win against a taxing deck. Honestly, how itā€™s not random ? Where is the skill when it come down to a dice roll when both players are swimming in creds ? Tell me, man.

6 Likes

Glacier is about inevitability, which is IMO bad for games in general. If you miss early, youā€™re less and less likely to win over time. So far, that isnā€™t true of even NEH fastro: it is always possible that the game will swing back with a couple quick runs (since it is actually possible for most every deck to hit R&D, say, multiple times vs. porous-ice NBN). I wonā€™t belabor my litany of game design issues with glacier archetypes, since I think Iā€™ve harped on about it enough.

Netrunner isnā€™t interesting enough for me to want to stick with it for a long game very often. Long games too often boil down to drawing well and pretty simple math.

1 Like

The trick is to always win psi games. I honestly feel like I would be significantly worse at netrunner if I had to randomize psi.

In all honesty, though, youā€™re mostly right.

2 Likes

Remember that before Caprice, most runner decks had inevitability against a typical glacier.

Even with Caprice, glacier decks can really only exist in a metagame where people are mostly having to build against fast decks requiring many central accesses early.

1 Like

Itā€™s only true if the runner isnā€™t randomizing his psi as well. And if the amount of creds doesnā€™t really matters when the psi-games occurs (and in all honesty, it shouldnā€™t in the RP Matchup : Stealing a TFP is most of the time game winning) it ultimately come down to a random bet, whether. you roll a dice or not as a corp.

Praying for your opponent to not put the same bet as you isnā€™t outskilling him, if you want my opinion.

1 Like