SanSan Cycle Spoilers

I must have missed these 5/3s spoiled and my search fu is failing me – do you have a link?

Ahein mentioned it above:

1 Like

I get frustrated when I hear this. We’re talking about a game in which Singularity has become a staple in an (arguably) Tier 1 deck. I got roundly (and rightly, at the time) mocked to suggesting it would ever be playable barely two months ago.

Blackmail has gone from niche to an enormous threat, Levy Lab Access went from jank to a key part of arguably the two best runner decks in the game, Power Nap was dismissed as worthless until @DJhedgehog actually played it. @Nordrunner made a winning deck with Underworld Contacts - a card that was the subject of a whole article to illustrate why it was bad - and Dyson Mem Chip of all things.

I could go on, but maybe we can leave it as “FFG have proven themselves really good at printing a card that looks terrible and a few months down the line, suddenly you realise where it was going all along”.

21 Likes

Interesting. I’m guessing advance is different than placing advancement tokens? Otherwise you could install a 3/2 and Mushin No Shin Hollywood renovation.

Edit: Ah yes, of course it is. Otherwise Efficiency Committee > Shipment from Sansan wouldn’t be a thing.

To be fair, none of the cards you mention were terrible, just niche because they lacked support!

Niche things are still threats if they come into play! They’re just harder to get into play at their potential and/or there’s only one or two decks that can maximize value from the card, e.g. Eater is the reason why Singularity isn’t still binder fodder.

FFG is definitely getting better at closing the gap between the first card of a combo being printed and the last, which is good, but they could also be a little more aggressive in some areas too. I think we can praise them for the former and encourage the latter.

Also, I love @Nordrunner but proper credit for the Andromeda Recurring Credits build should go to @Pyjam ; those of us who played Iain Sterling for big chunks of last year already demonstrated how good UC is, so when I saw Pyjam running with Data Folding I immediately dropped that into my Iain build and switched IDs to Andy (because Iain @ 10 influence is still stupid :frowning: ).

4 Likes

Right, to quote myself ;):

[quote=“moistloaf, post:379, topic:2197”]
Home Invasion
[/quote] We’re calling it the B&E suite

1 Like

@Nordrunner has been doing recurring credits since before Honor & Profit. It’s been one of his toys for forever. Its not something he’s been vocal about, but I’d call this two good players executing on a good idea at the same time from disparate locations. Happens with evolution, of course it would happen here too.

4 Likes

Most definitely: happens all the time, which is why I don’t like the practice of assigning credit for builds to anyone specific! I mean we all probably built UC-powered Andromeda, and at least a handful of people built UC-powered recurring Iain builds, a bunch of people beyond Wooley were playing siphon-recursion anarch, etc. My point here is that it’s not important who came up with it but what it is, so thanks for helping me have that conversation in public :slight_smile: .

1 Like

People with tiny ICE are gonna be (sadpanda) if that suite sees play :slight_smile:

I hear your points, and they are fair. I don’t know how far ahead FFG has ANR designed at any given time; I heard claims four months ago that the NBN big box was done. I don’t know how much I’d attest your examples to design. I don’t buy that Levy was released in July 2013 with the intention to be fodder until Lady and MaxX were released. Singularity, well… those builds are an entirely different debate, but I would chalk that up to players trying to leverage Eater, rather than an optimal or intentional interaction by design. Singularity was released in March 2014; even if it were designed to be used by Eater, that window of time for a card to be fodder doesn’t seem ideal.

I spend a lot of time dissing ANR design but it is my favorite game. Is it unfair to judge spoilers when we haven’t seen the full cycle or even a full data-pack? Yes. That said, I do think certain aspects of ANR design could be improved, one of which would be increasing the power of niche cards. You take a risk when you run a niche card, so the value needs to be substantial, IMO.

Really? Go ahead, trash your Icebreaker to break my Quandary…

4 Likes

Oh, you :wink:

They do have +1 strength for each Ice-breaker you have installed, so they are minimum 1. I could see them supporting a Central’s Only type suite.

Not that this would ever happen, but having every Home Invasion breaker out at once makes them Str 9 and they would take up 0 MU.

Apparently in the third or fourth pack Shaper’s are getting a resource that lets them host accessed agendas on it instead of stealing. Click the resource to steal (possibly at no additional cost). Is it weird if I think it is London Library?

And of course it serves as Punitive protection, as well as Power to the People & Kraken & Leela toys.

1 Like

Post O&C, I’ve been looking at Keyhole/Singularity differently.

One of the color pie sub-issues is “How does each runner faction deal with traps?”

The shapers have all sorts of prevention effects - LLDS Energy Regulator, Feedback Filter, Deus X, (kinda clone chip) the only thing that traps do that they can’t stop/undo is tagging (well, and Plan B).

Criminals have all sorts of info gathering techniques - Executive Wiretaps, Expose effects, Enhance Vision, etc. The crim solution is to figure out “Is that a trap?” and then decide whether to run.

The Anarch solution? “Trap? You mean that smoldering lump of burnt circuits? Well, I guess it might have been a trap.” Singularity, Keyhole, Wanton Destruction, and Archives interface all replace accesses with explosions/erasure (which is incredibly thematic). Sure, they all provide other utility, but the connection is there. Honestly, I also like the general spread. Archives interface is the lightest in both anti-trap impact and requirements (and completes the interface cycle). Keyhole give good long term R&D pressure, but is pain to use. Wanton is explosive, chaotic, and all in, which makes it feel different from Criminal HQ pressure. Singularity kinda has to be an event to avoid hosing horizontal decks too much.

Now, I do agree that Singularity is a bit on the pricy side. That is where I would complain, not with the card text, but with it’s pricing.

On a unrelated note, has anyone thought about Synapses + Starlight Crusade?

4 Likes

Imagine a world where the Runner steals TFP without winning a Psi-game.

Incoming FAQ entry about whether this hypothetical effect needs to win TFP’s “when accessed” psi game to replace the steal effect or not ;). My guess would be “you still have to play the psi game”, but let’s see if the card is real or not first.

2 Likes

ITS TIME HAS FINALLY COME!

4 Likes

I think the Home Invasion suite is for the big ICE. You can have a mimic, a zu (no memory) and a corroder out…
Any of the small stuff you can break for 1-3 bucks. All of the big ICE (5+) you can thrash an icebreaker to break it. All your runs can cost 3 bucks, or less. This ID will draw cards using them, using clone chips so it can cycle his deck to find these pieces faster, then Levy to do it all again. Sure it needs more cards to support and its indeed Janky, but as a tier 2, maybe 1.5 if it gets more cards to support it sure sound like fun!

2 Likes

If this card has a low influence cost it might be what Iain need to get back in the scene. You can put the criminal pressure without losing your ability.