Shutdown Jinteki is dead! Long live shutdown Jinteki!

PE PS decks almost never wins by flatline, unless runner is really too agressive.
Single hate card? What are you talking about?
I’m not sure what single card defeat ps build, but even cambrige can win through feedback filter if they manage to apply enough pressure and keep tempo.

1 Like

If you want to be able to play PE competitively these days, you need to be able to kill their Levy before they use it.

2 Likes

As your a much more experienced player than myself, im interested in the idea that its nearly never you win by flatline? Iv found the wins 50/50 split between scoring out and flatline, so far. The threat of flatline has been crucial to getting the scoring windows though.

Iv found needling enough to force them to use the levy early has been an ok way of getting around that :smile:

Edit: Jokes aside this is very true, and was another reason i was thinking IOP may have had a space in a PE deck.

I was talking about PE Cambridge decks. They were quite popular and GOOD in the meta before worlds last year. Especially in Europe, where they took some big tournaments (namely German nationals).

Hence why most of europeans slotted Feeedback filter in their andy decks at worlds, and that card alone was enough to render the deck more or less not competitive.

1 Like

That really depends on build. Some do it better others not. In my PS build I have dropped snares and all but 1 Fetal, so flatlines are not so common. But Philotic works really well as surprise.

Also it is absolutly viable to play HoK and Hokusai to increase your chanses on flatline.

As for Levy and whole Kate matchup - you have to score. Levy is just another waste of credits and time. They still need to find lost breaker, install it and run. That’s another window to score. Score fast Nisei behind himitsu/grim and you are in good spot. Caprice helps as well. Just keep tempo, ussually you cannot afford to build fortress over centrals. Kate is definitly beatable.

2 Likes

Feedback filter hurts jinteki not more than clot hurts NEH. They can still win games, it just need to be a little bit adjusted.

Anyway that’s not a topic about cambridge build.

What’s your current agenda spread, Gozik? I’m thinking now is a solid time to play shutdown PE, but I’m not sure which agendas to run. Do you go for TFP and only scoring three times, or scoring four with HOK?

Here it is:

2 tfp
3 nisei mk4
1 philotic entanglement
1 fetal ai
1 napd
2 clone retirements

And I really like it.

This split is flexible, you can rush double nisei+tfp,. You have feeder for archer, you can mislead runner about your agenda suit. Death from fetal are not common but runner starts to play more safely when he sees it. Also it is possible to bluff napd as nisei in begining.

Interesting, have you tried running 3x HoK over the NAPD or fetal? I like having empty Hok sitting around when I have archers in a deck. For influence, you run 3x Shutdown, 1 Archived, 2 Archer, 3 Jackson? or some other split, maybe a Reclamation Order? Thanks!

1-pointers are fine, but I have issues with deck slots, so the only real slot for HoK is clone retirements, and I’m not sure that HoK is better.

2 shutdowns 1 archived 2 archer 3 jh
and 2 influence for crisium grids or blacklists.

Also it is possible to run 3ps + 1 archer instead.

And preventing question about economy: 3 Hedge Fund, 3 Celebrity Gift, 2 Restructure, 2 Subliminal Messaging. Ussually enough for me.

pretty much what I’d imagined. Right now I’m trying 3 Hok, 3 TfP, 3 Nisei, 1 philotic, forgot that Sub messaging was solid in here. Appreciate it!

Is Nisei Mk 4 kind of like Nisei Mk 2, except it comes with unlimited tokens? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Kidding. Still trying to figure out the right agenda spread for this style of deck myself - I find myself frequently swinging between 2 and 3 Clone Retirements. 3 feels too many, and one or two frequently get sniped off the top of R&D, but 2 always feels too few, as I just never seem to find them.

Regarding the economy package, Cerebral Gift is obviously not quite as good as in a more standard RP, given that your agenda spread is not as punishing to steal (1 NAPD, 2 TFP, 1 Fetal AI versus 3 NAPD, 3 TFP). But hey, money is money.

I do rather enjoy the playstyle of PE Shutdown, but I frequently have difficulty with the Shaper matchup (PPVP Kate, especially), with all their resilience to program trashing. As you say though, it’s not unwinnable.

Iv found against shaper you can wear their recursion down. Chronos project helps, but really if you trash enough stuff theres only so many clone chips. Agg sec can be brutal for this purpose.

Is there any decent counter to keyhole apart from crisium? Hostile infrastructure maybe? But damn thats expensive.

Hokusai Grid works well vs eater decks.

2 Likes

I’ve been fairly successful with the list I’ll paste below. Marcus Batty is the latest auto-include in this style of deck; he can trigger the unpreventable double-program-trash rig wipe that leads to complete lockout. I played last night at a casual session and both runners (a Chaos Theory & a Reina) eventually had to concede because they couldn’t break into any server. I originally had a lot more economy in the list, Subliminal and giraffes and Gila Hands over Clone Retirement, but that proved to be too much economy as I was sitting around with nothing to spend it on. I probably went too far the other way and need to cut an ICE and Restoring Face (included as a joke) for money.

While this is a strong archetype, it’s probably too slow for tournament play. One of the games took over an hour. Perhaps I’m playing it wrong and should be going for some quick rush scores after shutting down early SMC/breakers.

And yes, my list is named after a Bush song. I like that song.

Personal Holloway (Return of Power Shutdown PE)

Jinteki: Personal Evolution (Core Set)

Agenda (10)

Asset (8)

Upgrade (3)

Operation (11)

Barrier (4)

Code Gate (7)

Sentry (6)

15 influence spent (max 15)
20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to The Underway

Decklist published on NetrunnerDB.

2 Likes

Looks really solid. I agree batty has given me reason to look at shutdown/trash decks again. One thing i would say is find a spare inf for wraparound - turning it back on after shutting down corroder can really mess an anarch up.

1 Like

I’ve been tinkering around with something similar to this, the Batty/Destroyer/Blacklist/Shutdown shell is incredibly powerful and most won games seem to end with a slow advance behind 1-2 pieces of ice and the runner drawing to zero outs.

I’m still not sure about the agenda suite: I’m only at 2 TFP to make room for Gila Hands and a 3rd Clone Retirement–the ability on GH is quite powerful in a slow plodding deck like this IMO, and running a higher agenda count makes turning on Archer easier and doubles as some marginal hand disruption. If you’re looking to boost your econ, I think I prefer econ agendas over Subliminal or additional operations.

Out of curiosity, what’s the reasoning behind Shock over Snare?

In the original shutdown list Shock was to make it problematic for the runner to check archives every time you played Power Shutdown. Now that you’ve got Crick which threatens to return Batty that might not be as much of an issue.

Would Chronos Project be a reasonable switch with House of Knives?

1 Like