Stimhackers on Jinteki.net?

Also, the biggest selling point of OCTGN (at least, for me), is that you can have quick games. Jinteki, while allowing timing windows, etc, is sometimes too tedious.

Think of it this way: All those bad things are true about Jinteki.net, and yet it has more users (going by the fact that I generally have to wait less than 15 seconds for a game to get joined on Jinteki, whereas I remember having to wait several minutes regularly for OCTGN games) and several people have switched from OCTGN to use it anyway, even people who’d had OCTGN set up and learned to use it. That’s indicative of something valuable.

It really comes down to three things, for me. First and most importantly, Jinteki.net requires NO software support outside of a browser. I work with computers and software for a living and I hated having to troubleshoot OCTGN when things would hiccup (even on Windows native, but especially on linux through wine).

Second, Jinteki.net is a more stable platform. OCTGN introduces code changes that break @db0’s excellent implementation and he doesn’t really have any control over that, making OCTGN as a netrunner platform less reliable. With my scarce freetime, I always hated trying to play on OCTGN and experiencing technical difficulties. Jinteki.net has these sometimes but much more rarely in my experience, especially since they fixed a lot of the server performance issues.

Third, Jinteki.net is beautifully automated. Runs are aware of what server they’re on and what ICE is infront of those servers and in what order. On top of that, icebreakers are aware of what strength they need to reach to break the ICE they’re encountering, and that’s true even for tricky things like Wraparound, Gutenberg, NEXT ICE and Parasited ICE. Jinteki.net also automates abilities like NEH’s draw, since it’s aware of what a new remote is and what it’s not. It automatically destroys assets/agendas if you install a new asset/agenda in their remote. Timing windows are explicit and easy to manage and the whole thing runs together much more seamlessly. Some cards aren’t implemented yet and yes, the interface is less flexible (due to all the awesome automation) so those unimplemented cards are harder to work around, but they’re implemented swiftly and satisfactorily. @mtgred and his team are doing awesome work.

9 Likes

My hesitation is the shutdown notice. I don’t want us to put all of our eggs in a basket it seen it blown out of the water without a service to return to. I’ve yet to even go to the site once. I don’t know if I ever will.

That’s acknowledging that it’s likely a spiffy interface and that a lot of good work has gone into it AND that it’s more accessible.

1 Like

Did I play against you with a Kate Nexus deck? Cause I refuse to believe there’s two committed Nisei Scorch players running around.

Basically because of your concern is that we’re investing into communities that FFG could kill whenever they want? You use NRDB, right? And nothing makes OCTGN immune to takedowns. Not to mention that FFG could just axe the game its self whenever they see fit (CoC players are feeling the brunt of that). Ultimately all these communities are transient and the experiences gained are the only things you can keep with you.

That said, if your concern is more legal/moral, I get that, though I think OCTGN and NRDB are in the same soup Jinteki.net is.

2 Likes

I’m on there, as CJFM, playing Nasir almost exclusively… And RP. I’m kinda tired of the general skill level on jinteki. I would suggest putting ‘tournament practice open’ or something to that effect in your game name. Some people can’t seem to read no matter what you do, though. Lots of mid-game quitters…

1 Like

I should note for people who play me on Jinteki.net that I do sometimes have to leave mid-game as well, but it’s never because of the game but rather family commitments/emergencies (like the 3 month old throwing up on someone :smiley: ). I’ll always play a game through unless some external force pulls me away.

2 Likes

Wasn’t referring to when real life issues come up. That is always more important than anr. I recently have run into a few players that either didn’t have a great grasp of the core mechanics or were losing, and left without explanation.

My favorite newbie was the guy who ran an account siphon through a rezzed Raven with two rezzed DRTs on the board and two cards in hand. I assumed it was I’ve Had Worse or something.

It’s more that FFG has attempted to take legal action against Jinteki, but never OCTGN. NRDB I view as different because I don’t believe FFG’s case had legal merit. In the case of jnet, it definitely does. But we know FFG is going to leave OCTGN alone because they’ve said so, tacitly. Also OCTGN isn’t directly responsible for the streams which developers create for it. They are a framework. Jnet may be too polished for its own good, and it may have only been targeted due to the asmode merger. Either way, I’m sticking to octgn.

Since jnet builds the functionality in directly and OCTGN doesn’t, OCTGN is much harder to persue and is more likely to last from a survivability perspective.

I don’t want to get into this deeper, though, as it tends to get some people inflamed.

Regarding the skill level disconnect, it is a problem. I really enjoy games where someone is new and i can actively assist them during a game and answer their questions post game, helping new players is a great use of my time as far as im concerned, unfortunately you also have online only players who dont want to admit there skill level or feel like they shouldnt, and you up playing 10 games in a row which are walk overs. I try and play @mendax as much as possible because he is one of the best players in Bristol for this reason, i think adding a handle of “SH” or “stimhacker only plz” is probably a bit exclusive as iv mentioned but i reckon it would be at least a good way of ensuring your playing someone you know and that you know are aware of netrunner in the competitive context (which is what stimhack is about right?).

Labeling ‘stimhackers only’ is probably going to elicit new players playing Stimhack repeatedly against you :wink: or wondering why you aren’t.

“But that’s what your game title said!” -someguy

3 Likes

I vote for StamHerk, that way there is no confusion

They still won’t read it and join your game though

4 Likes

Just name the game “Azogar Only” no one will join :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s sad but true. Maybe password protected games would help.

1 Like

Maybe a Stimhack Jinteki.net server? We have one in our meta for competitive testing.

Y’all are hardcore.

3 Likes

I’m on there a lot as Ortho. I’ve played some pretty ropey people on there but probably not overall worse than some random Octgn games I’ve had.

Although I did once play someone who flatlined themselves off Hostile Infrastructure damage trashing stuff from hand…

No I don’t actually remember that game … Maybe there are two?!? XD

I play frequently, I’m ‘chaosjuggler’. Feel free to say hi, I play some tournament decks when I need practice as well as some experimental decks.