Terminal Directive - A Narrative Campaign Expansion for Android: Netrunner The Card Game

Obokata =P

2 Likes

If you’re running film critic, you don’t play Leela. If you wanna play film critic, play a different ID. They’re both valid approaches to the new meta, but personally I think Leela will be quite strong. You most likely only have to steal one Obokata to win the game, and with Marron it’s not hard to draw up to 4 before accessing what could be the winning agenda.

Given that IG virtually never scores an agenda, and their agenda suite at that point will be something like 3 Future Perfect, 3 Obama Protocol, and a Fetal (or 2 for 54), you’re going to have an equally hard time stealing one without Film. Aaron is not likely going to help you. At least not for your first crack at it. And, given that Jinteki is also getting that dumb meat damage Shock! (which will not be exclusive with Shock! itself), IG is about to become even more prevalent IMO. I feel like you definitely are running FC in such a meta, regardless of anti-synergies.

If you don’t have it, they just dump the Oblongata Protocols in Archives, along with the 6 damage cards, and challenge you to ever get the 10 cards you need to actually steal it. I realize this sounds like I’m crying doomsday a little bit, but IG has been a top-tier ID for awhile now, and these two cards are aces for the ID, so I can only see it getting much stronger and more commonplace.

But this is all speculation. We’ll see how it turns out.

2 Likes

We’ll see whether IG 54 makes a comeback. My Leela beats IG 49 by trashing everything and waiting for them to run out of cards, not stealing agendas. I would be totally ok not paying the cost to steal Obokata against IG 49.

1 Like

Makes sense they would print that, considering we already have Trump’s Initiative as an agenda.

But poking fun aside yes. Film Critic seems obligatory. Or you must run some kind of net damage protection.

3 Likes

Preventing a cost negates the effect. Can’t steal this OP agenda if you prevent its damage. Could prevent Shock! damage though if trying to grab it from IG’s Archives, and lessen the burden.

Leads to a funny interaction with Guru where you can’t possibly take the agenda unless you let Guru die.

1 Like

Oh, I was advocating it for all the other crap, not the new agenda. Shock!s, Snare!s, Fetals and whatever other garbage they throw at you. Taking four to the face hurts, but its not so bad if you can prevent the follow up net damage pings.

1 Like

Turns out it’s actually a old playtest version of the card, and it’s actually Utaku Protocol. The art is actually of a bunch of armored samurai riding motorcycles cutting Noise in half.

(This may actually be too deep of a cut.)

5 Likes

Someone is looking forward to Gen Con.

At least I can get a single scorpion playmat for Scorpio/Scorpion clan!

1 Like

YOU HAVE NO IDEA.

3 Likes

On the Lam is a good crim card that can be used with account siphon and prevent 3 damage…

Shaper’s got film critic, Anarchs should keyhole it?

Anarchs have I’ve Had Worse, so they will most likely only be down 1 card after stealing Obokata.

True, forgot that. So Crims got damage protection+draw, anarchs got damage protection+draw and shapers got to pay to avoid net (net shield, filter) or film critic. I hope there is some event coming for shapers…

You can bluff with any agenda, IAA works for all agendas. The trick is to sell it as a junebug

1 Like

ironcache is likely right that Obamata Protocol’s damage cannot be prevented. Or…you can, but then you can’t steal the agenda. The FAQ states that if you prevent a cost, the effect will not happen. The cost here is the 4 net and the effect is stealing. So you can probably leave On the Lams and Net Shields home in this case, unfortunately for runners.

3 Likes

I’m not a huge fan of Corp strategies which are aggressively attacking runners board, heap or both.
Actually that might be an understatement - I hate when Corps can do that efficiently.
IG54 was a terrible nightmare, PU with Ark Lockdown was another example how to prevent runner to actually play the game. The new ID and trashing card goes even further.
Unfortunately it seems that this is simply the designers’ preferred direction for the Corps in the game.
Oh well, I haven’t really played much Netrunner for the past few months anyway… guess I will play even less of it now.

You can’t prevent a cost, too.

1 Like

Just for reference, from the FAQ:

Example: The Runner trashes Cortez Chip and has an installed Sacrificial Construct. If the Sacrificial Construct is used to prevent the Cortez Chip from being trashed, then the paid ability on Cortez Chip does not resolve.

It’s specifically under “Trashing as a Cost”, saying it is true for “trash: do X” effects, but it extends beyond that, as the Sac Con + Scavenge interaction shows. I think there’s precedent to show it extends beyond trashing in general, but I don’t have it on hand.

OTL won’t help against Obamata (as, if you’re going to prevent it, you might as well just decline the additional cost; in either case you aren’t getting the agenda, but declining saves you 4 damage or 1 damage and your OTL).

Sure, but you frequently can’t intimidate the runner with IAA plays for many reasons I don’t think I need to illustrate. Never-advance is far, far easier to sell than ambush plays.