Terminal Directive - A Narrative Campaign Expansion for Android: Netrunner The Card Game

Abagnale has me excited, but you have to pay 3cr to use it on Tollbooth; Abagnale is paid-ability, have to suffer the On-Encounter effects. This is awesome.

I do think Abagnale is competitive with criminal decoders, but Iā€™m not convinced about being the universal right choice. Iā€™d agree it might have an edge Peregrine, but Peregrine was already the worst of the options, IMO.

Install cost is an important concept that gets overshadowed by analysis of break costs. And what gets more overshadowed still is the notion of burst effects on economy, and how that factors into gameplay; losing 1 credit every turn for 10 turns is not equivalent to losing 10 credits in one turn.

People have a tenancy to lean towards Gordian Blade in criminal, but Iā€™ve been using a Faust Andy deck that initially had Zu, and man, getting your decoder out with only 1 credit impact on your pool feels very good. It is so unintrusive on your tempo. I eventually swapped to Peacock to make the influence work, and break costs aside, you can feel the difference that 2 credits makes. It goes from being an almost no brainer to a cost-benefit analysis (after all, my deck has Faust; do I need to hit my economy with this?). I similarly chose Corroder over Paperclip for the same reason.

Where Iā€™m going with this is that Abagnale costs more still than Peacock. You might ā€œitā€™s just 1 credit moreā€, but itā€™s more than that; itā€™s taking a 3 credit hit to your pool to a 4 credit hit, and that matters. Hard to give a strict analysis as to how much, but it does.

And, even without install costs, while Abagnale is generally more efficient at breaking routines, a ā€œcriminallyā€ under played card is E3. I use it for Faust, but it also makes Peacock only take 2c on the first sub. Along with its better boost, I think itā€™s a competitive choice.

So thatā€™s pretty much my stance. I do think itā€™s a competitive option; another tool in their kit. But their objectively best option? I donā€™t think Iā€™d agree with that.

1 Like

To be frank, the comparison point for abagnale for me is

1. gordion blade: as this is what it is replacing in good stuff decks. It has exactly the same numbers overall the slight difference is the awkward strength boost (which is mitigated by sucker). The big difference is strength retention which im not sure is worth 3 inf to a criminal deck. In return you get to bypass a code gate once which might be worth using in the early or very laye game.
  2. passport: passport is an awesome breaker, abagnale is indentical but you are paying 3 credits more to be able to break remotes.

I can see my goodstuff andy deck slotting 2 abagnale in place of both these cards.

4 Likes

In a deck running SO, I think Iā€™d do 1 Passport 1 Abagnale before 2 Abagnale. Having the option of the reduced tempo hit is nice.

Iā€™ll agree that Iā€™d almost definitely run Abagnale before Gordian though.

1 Like

Dude, I think install cost is incredibly important (Zu comprises 100% of my influence spent on non-Yog decoders in crim decks since its release). But comparing Abagnale to Peacock is a really bad example of this ā€“ as soon as you use Peacock to break a single subroutine, youā€™ve broken even on that 1 credit difference. The only reason to run Peacock once Abagnale is out is if you a) are not running suckers, and b) are playing in a meta dominated by code gates with exactly Str 5 and/or Str 7+. Even then, my dignity would probably prevent me from running Peacock. :wink:

ETA:

I donā€™t think this is a bad idea in a vacuum, but weā€™re seeing an increasing number of RFG effects and targeted destruction effects (e.g. Hunter-Seeker). My guess is that by the time this expansion hits stores, icebreaker redundancy is going to be more important than ever.

1 Like

I donā€™t follow. So you think Peacocks cheaper install cost is worth it over Abagnale, but at the same time talk about E3 to get rid of the 2-to-break, which is another 2 credits install cots on top of Peacock, as well as a card you have to find and install. I find the need to draw and install a card I canā€™t tutor for a way bigger problem than the need for 1 more credit at install time. I get that you use E3 already for Faust, but I still think thatā€™s not worth it.

I also think the 2-to-break eats up any credit saving you might have from the 3-for-2 pump cost. For ICE with strength < 4 itā€™s the same pump cost for both breakers anyway (2 to pump), theyā€™re also even for ICE with strength 6. For 5 and and 7 you need to pump once more with Abagnale.
But then Abagnale saves you one credit on the first subroutine (and each subsequent subroutine, if there is more than one and you have no E3). Which is also true for every ICE where the pump costs are the same. So with Peacock youā€™re basically cheaper off against FC3 and Little Engine, and - even with E3 out - worse against Magnet, Enigma, Tollbooth, FC2, Mausolus, DNA Tracker, Archangel, Lotus Field, Quandary, Ravana and Turing. I know there are more Code Gates out there, but I think that are the ones that are played atm. Considering that you only save 1 credit at install time with Peacock over Abagnale and you spend that one credit more against almost any Code Gate in the game on first encounter, Iā€™ll happily slot Abagnale over Peacock any time. Passport might be still worth it for the low install cost, and if I have some spare influence Iā€™ll think about alternatives, but otherwise itā€™ll be Abagnale for me in the near future.

3 Likes

IMO if you are looking for a three to install decoder in Criminal that works on remotes, you should be playing Rex.

4 Likes

Again, the analysis being provided here is naive; itā€™s assuming that the 2c break cost immediately and definitely counters the 1c cheaper install cost.

Being 1 credit cheaper on the install allows:

• Putting it down with less risk of being in HHN range.
  • Play the SG/DC/Whatever that you drew from John M. When they didnā€™t rez the ICE (or the ICE want code gate).
  • Trash the asset in the server under the same circumstances.
  • Win traces.

The list goes onā€¦

With respect to E3, it doesnā€™t only work with Peacock. It isnā€™t there for that, so saying itā€™s 2 credits dedicated to that is not correct.

Going back to Bios -

I have mixed feelings about the ā€˜randomness.ā€™ First, Iā€™ll say that itā€™s really peculiar that itā€™s 4/6 ā€“ like, give me some real choices or just make it something that happens. This is a very weird design decision.

Regardless, though, you can figure that sheā€™s going to have 4 good cards under there, because why would you slot bad cards? So, thatā€™s cool; you can fetch a specific good card with a single click, and it works like a mini-tutor. (Note: I am presuming you select the card from the four, because there is nothing on the ID that suggests the NVRAM is in a random order or that you select a random one.)

However, since you canā€™t plan at the deckbuilding stage which cards will be there, this is pretty awkward to plan around. I canā€™t, for example, run a bunch of 1x programs and then still cut down on SMCs, because I donā€™t know that those programs will end up in the NVRAM. Similarly, if I slot some high-impact, highly-situational run events theyā€™re going to end up clogging my regular draws much more often than they end up ā€˜sideboardedā€™ in the NVRAM in games where I donā€™t need them.

More than the randomness, though, my real issue with her ability (again, barring effects that interact with this in some way) is just that it is actually resistant to economic efficiency. Clicking to draw a single card is literally the slowest way to draw; you canā€™t speed this up with Diesel or Patron or Quality Time, etc. etc. etc. Consider ā€“ for a single click and 2MU, SMC lets you hold onto your credits until theyā€™re needed and threaten any potential breaker in your deck during a run. By contrast, if you stick a key breaker in your NVRAM so that you have ā€˜easyā€™ access to it, youā€™ve got to spend one click fetching it and another installing it, paying all costs, before the ice youā€™re worried about gets rezzed (unless youā€™re willing to eat the results of a facecheck, of course). Similarly, since we all run 3x Sure Gamble, itā€™s a safe bet (pun intended) that youā€™re going to end with one in your NVRAM on a regular basis. Diesel ā†’ Sure Gamble feels like hot dirty sex after a night at the club; Click ā†’ ā€˜tutorā€™ Sure Gamble, Click ā†’ play Sure Gamble is closer to the thrill of driving a Honda Accord slightly above the speed limit. Itā€™s not terrible at 2cr/click, but considering that to enable this ability you gave up 1cr/turn install discount or 1 recurring stealth cred or bonus clicks from installing or ā€˜everythingā€™s a code gateā€™ orā€¦

5 Likes

I think it is called NVRAM to sprinkle in some flavor and give it an area name to protect it from weird rulings (wow FFG good job!).

From a designer perspective printing a card that exclusively deals with NVRAM is a 0% chance.

We may get some cards that have text: Do X. If you have cards in your NVRAM, do Y

Also I expected more from Brute-Force-Hacking. It has this weird hyphenating crap and I tried to break it down into a reference, or an abbreviationā€¦ and nothing. The flavor text redeems the card and presents like three better names.

2 Likes

NVRAM will be referenced in the legacy game Iā€™m guessing, and probably never in the competitive. If it does get referenced in the competitive, it will be to provide a notion of NVRAM to other IDs before buffing NVRAM itself. Making cards that have forced synergy with a single ID is atrocious design.

But, then again, I canā€™t say I have the wealth of game design experience that our new captain Michael Boggs does. Weā€™ll see how he handles it going forward.

With respect to SMC for mid-run install vs. installing ahead of time from NVRAM-- you can still use personal workshop or clone chip (or DaVinci, I guess) to avoid paying for it until you need it.

I could see her working well with a stimshop build: good odds of starting with a workshop and some expensive stuff, key cards can sit in NVRAM without getting brained, etc.

What do people think is the relevant rule for NVRAM + mulligan? I donā€™t see anything about it in this English translation of the german rulebook: Netrunner Terminal Directive Rulebook - Pastebin.com . So, take it with a grain of salt, but that seems to fall back to the core rules. From ā€œSetupā€ (relevant text bolded):

1. Choose Sides: The players decide who will play as the
    Runner and who will play as the Corporation. Then, each
    player places his identity card faceup in his play area and
    takes a corresponding deck.
    Note: New players should use the Shaper and Jinteki starter
    decks for their first game.
  1. Create Token Bank: Gather the credits, advancement, brain
    damage, tag, bad publicity, and generic tokens into piles.
    Keep these piles within reach of both players.
  2. Collect Starting Credits: Each player takes five credits from
    the bank.
  3. Shuffle Decks: Each player shuffles his deck. After shuffling,
    each player offers his deck to his opponent for further
    shuffling.
  4. Draw Starting Hands: Each player draws five cards from
    the top of his deck to form his starting hand. After drawing
    starting hands, the Corporation may choose to take a
    mulligan by shuffling his hand back into his deck and
    then drawing a new starting hand. After the Corporation
    decides whether to mulligan, the Runner decides whether to
    mulligan as well. If a player takes a mulligan, he must keep
    his second hand as his starting hand. When the players are
    satisfied with their starting hands, each player places his deck
    facedown in his play area.

A ā€œmulliganā€ is described as shuffling your hand into the deck (not ā€œall of the cards that are in your deck listā€ or whatever).

While there is a step 5 called ā€œdraw starting handsā€ that seems to align with Biosā€™s ability (ā€œbefore drawing your starting handā€), the second draw of a mulligan is also referred to as ā€œdrawing a new starting hand.ā€

So, Iā€™m not sure. I really want it to trigger on both the initial hand and the mulligan, but I could see it going either way.

I interpret it as happening after ā€œStep 4: Shuffle Decksā€ but before ā€œStep 5: Draw Starting Handsā€ (IE: only before first hand). But, after the Find The Truth ruling, Iā€™m not really 100% on any pre-game stuff.

You really should take it easy on that bye card.

4 Likes

Donā€™t judge my relationships just because you donā€™t understand them.

7 Likes

NVRAM will also significantly improve your set-up, like an Andy-lite. If you get to see roughly 10 cards on your first turn there is a good chance of being able to Sure Gamble into Beth. This might bring some strong turn 1 cards like Professional Contacts back into the meta. You could also use NVRAM to cut dead draws, run 3 Beth without the drawback of two in your opening for example.

So long as Iā€™m not the TO who needs to inspect it, more power to you the way I see it.

ā€œWell, this is definitely strundleā€™s bye. In addition to signing it, he left his DNA all over it.ā€

FWIW, I feel confident that youā€™ll do the whole NVRAM process (look at 6, add 4) before the first hand and that they will stay there whether or not you mulligan. If it were the other way, with the way the card is written there is no reason to remove the first 4 ā€“ so youā€™d end up with 8 cards in NVRAM, which would be super weird/backwards/broken.

Two thoughts:

1. This makes sense from a general design perspective, but if Bios gets her own console, do we really expect it to have no direct interaction with her defining characteristic (itā€™s not impossible ā€“ see Noise/Turntable or Whizz/Grimoire ā€“ but it would be odd)?

2. I could see Street Peddler-style effects that add cards to NVRAM or the like even if you didnā€™t have NVRAM before. Given the reluctance to add keywords, though, if they go this route weā€™re going to end up with dumb walls of text describing the same effect over and over again (see: psi games).

2 Likes

The big thing is that, even if a dedicated console has synergy with the intended ID, itā€™s never been pigeonholed into the ID. Noise gets benefit from Grimoire, but it doesnā€™t interact with him any differently than other IDs. Same deal with a lot of others (Gabe/Desperado, Jes/Maya, Val/Vigil, etc.).

If they make Bios console interact with NVRAM, it would be the first designed card that interacts with one ID differently than others, which I feel is bad design. They would need to not only make NVRAM available, but make it reasonably commonplace.

A better designed card would be, for example, something that interacts with facedown cards. Like ā€œ5 cost, 1 MU, trash an installed card: play a facedown card, paying all costsā€. The above might not be balanced (or the right approach; I still donā€™t think face down cards is general enough), but, in general, something that synergizes with Bios ability, but isnā€™t inherently tied to her specifically.

1 Like

Yeah, fair enough. Iā€™m probably just not thinking outside of the box enough. They could also include NVRAM with other options ā€“ ā€œWhenever you make a successful run on R&D, install one card from your grip or NVRAM.ā€

Honestly, 80% of my blockage on this front is just that I think the ID is so ā€˜mehā€™ right now (having never played with or against it, of course) that Iā€™m having difficulty imagining a console ability that would work better out of Bios than Kate or CT.

2 Likes