The Geist Zeitgeist

You know, Endless Hunger actually makes a good amount of sense in a deck where you can get a full breaker suite online and still have 0 memory. Good call. I wouldn’t imagine you’d want to install it every game, since it still does make you trash installed shit to break things (and without firing Geist’s ability =( ), but as an emergency breaker in the ‘AI’ slot, I’d imagine it does just fine.

Plus, hold it in hand, fire the Apocalypse, and then you’re ready to go next turn. Pretty slick. It’s one of those things that seems kinda janky, but enough on the good side that it might not be jank at all.

1 Like

I tried Autoscripter and found it beyond useless. It’s a Technical Writer that fires only once per turn and costs 3 credits more. All you seem to do with that extra click is to gain a credit and, sometimes, draw a card.

When trying out cards like this I put a die on them so I can count how many times it triggers over the course of the game and it hovers on the 5-8 range which is terrible.

What surprises me is that you guys aren’t running Sneakdoor Beta with your Apocalypse builds because it’s an amazing combination.

5 Likes

[quote=“ErikTwice, post:1125, topic:4242, full:true”]
I tried Autoscripter and found it beyond useless. It’s a Technical Writer that fires only once per turn and costs 3 credits more. All you seem to do with that extra click is to gain a credit and, sometimes, draw a card.[/quote]

I agree. I think Autoscripter is much too expensive and has the drawback of trashing itself when you make an unsuccessful run. Savoir-Faire would probably be better honestly.

[quote=“ErikTwice, post:1125, topic:4242, full:true”]
When trying out cards like this I put a die on them so I can count how many times it triggers over the course of the game and it hovers on the 5-8 range which is terrible.[/quote]

I need to start doing this…

1 Like

Gaining 5-8 clicks per game for one card and 3 credits is terrible? We’re playing different games.

3 Likes

I think the lament was more from the fact that he felt like he couldn’t do anything productive with that extra click a majority of the time. I’ll need to play around with it more.

Yep. I’ve always been disappointed with Scripter too. Paying a click and 3 credits for what amounts to 2-5 credits of slooow drip profit in the early game - with the added cost of neutered aggressiveness - is terrible. Daily Casts would be better.

2 Likes

3 credits, plus install and the card itself account for 5 click equivalents, so yeah, I think getting 5-8 clicks out of it is terrible.

Compare it to Daily Casts. It has exactly the same cost and it gives me 8 credits. And it gives them much faster and doesn’t self-destruct if I want to force the Corporation to rez ICE. And it’s not unique.

Really, it has been awfully dissapointing. If I could do something with that click other than clicking for credits or cards, I would consider it but it just seems a terrible economic option to me at this point.

1 Like

Well, there is something to be said for how it increases your flexibility and allows you to perform more work in a smaller window, windows the corp forces you into. Its less of an on-paper good card, and more of an in-practice good card. I’m typically quite happy to toss down a scripter, especially if its off a peddler, which is nice in Geist due to the draw.

I won a small tournament with Geist and Genomics today. This is the list I used:

Turbosiphon v1.00 Small tournament winner

Armand “Geist” Walker: Tech Lord (The Underway)

Event (12)
3x Account Siphon (Core Set)
1x Apocalypse (Data and Destiny) [color=undefined]•••[/color]
2x Easy Mark (Core Set)
1x Legwork (Honor and Profit)
1x Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control) [color=#32CD32]•••[/color]
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
1x The Maker’s Eye (Core Set) [color=#32CD32]••[/color]

Hardware (7)
2x Clone Chip (Creation and Control) [color=#32CD32]••••[/color]
3x Forger (The Underway)
2x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)

Resource (11)
2x Bank Job (Core Set)
3x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)
3x Street Peddler (The Underway) [color=#FF4500]•••[/color]
3x Technical Writer (Data and Destiny)

Icebreaker (14)
1x Alias (Honor and Profit)
1x Breach (Honor and Profit)
3x Crowbar (Chrome City)
2x Faerie (Future Proof)
1x Passport (Honor and Profit)
3x Shiv (The Underway)
3x Spike (The Valley)

Program (1)
1x Sneakdoor Beta (Core Set)
15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Data and Destiny

Decklist published on NetrunnerDB.

It’s fairly standard, only a couple odd choices here and there. Feel free to comment on the list and such.

5 Likes

I’ve been messing with this. I like this package a lot.

1 Like

Yeah. Love it. @CodeMarvelous and I fucked around with the 2nd Apoc, instead. I like this.

@ErikTwice, nice! Love the Beta. How were the Marks? Nice burst Econ when ridin’ dirty. Any Crisium issues?

1 Like

I feel like Peddler has some serious anti-synergy with pivotal events, particularly Apocalypse (because you cannot SoT->Apoc, at least not in this list) but also Levy, Legwork/Maker’s Eye, & Siphon. It’s one thing to lose a little Sure Gamble economy and another to degrade parts of your game plan. At what point is it better to ditch Apocalypse & swap multi-access events for interfaces? I love Peddler but I’ve also straight up lost games to having cards trapped under one.

1 Like

There’s maybe too many events in this deck, but I don’t worry too much about Peddler finding events per se. Same Old Thing is great in Geist, and often Account Siphon is not going to be the right card to bring back. Maker’s Eye or Legwork are strong cards, and being able to play them at a whim (like Kate!) is strong in a deck that can make few runs.

1 Like

I actually started tweaking your list!

I don’t think you need more than one Apocalypse, when I first tried the deck I was drawing them both very often and one of the copies was always discarded. You need a certain kind of buildup before you can play it and in most matchups it’s not even important so I’m happy with having “only” two chances to play it.

In a sense, I think that Apocalypse in Geist is not as applicable as an additional Maker’s or something of the kind would, its real power resides in that it allows you to win lots of games you normally wouldn’t be able to and to keep you in the game when servers start getting taxing.

The Easy Marks were vital. I started out with Dirty Laundry and got frustrated I couldn’t use them most of the time so I switched to Easy Mark. They have the same payout and saving the ocassional click on a run is not worth losing games because you can’t get to 5 credits.

I haven’t played enough against Crisium to tell, but it seems mostly a timing issue. You need to be in a situation in which you can trash it and then Siphon, preferably twice. Sneakdoor helps, I think what you have to do is just get enough money/breakers to do it even if it allows them to score an agenda.

@phette23

I don’t think it matters much if you lose a couple Siphons to Peddler because you have far more than you’ll need. I mean, 3 Siphons, 3 SoT, 1 Levy is a lot.

As for Apocalypse or the multiaccess cards, it doesn’t matter much. You barely use them and you have two chances (pre-levy and post-levy) to hit the Corp with them. After all, you can always hit with at least one so it’s fine.

I don’t think Interfaces work with Geist because he cannot hammer a server over and over.

4 Likes

Fall Guy instead of Easy Mark? The odds of getting 3 events on a Peddler are not high, but this would reduce them further. And I like Fall Guy a lot more than Easy Mark (I prefer a card to a credit 90% of the time in Geist).

6 Likes

yeah, a big problem i faced with autoscripter was being so scared to run and lose it. but then again, i only tested it really early on playing geist. i’m a lot better at him now with the overall strategy, so it might be worth it to test again.

1 Like

I haven’t tried Fall Guy yet, so I cannot say for sure but on paper I would rather get the credit. But yeah, the difference is small so I’ll just play against myself a bit and see what goes. There’s a tournament in a couple days and I’ll take Geist again.

1 Like

Fall Guy has other utility besides +1 card -1 cred, which is usually favored by the runner. There’s also resource trashing protection (not useful in the aforementioned build but very useful in many other Geists) and instant speed draw (for kill deck resistance)

2 Likes

so given the new changes, what are we thinking? is Forger worth it now for main console? something else? or maybe Desperado x2 instead of x3?
is dropping down to 2 Clone Chips for the same influence still worth it to include them?

i think it’s too early for doom and gloom, but these changes definitely affect many Geist builds. personally, i think i’ll be fine with them after all of the incoming tools from Mumbad, but curious about what people are thinking about testing now.

I think dropping down to 2 Clone Chips is ok. I’m thinking of trying Doppelganger instead of Desperado as it still works well with Sec Testing and Bank Job.

I am really sad about the Clone Chip changes though.

1 Like