The MaxX Thread

Not super tweaked, mostly trying to wrap my head around a number of new options (Wanton Destruction is awesome!), but it’s pretty functional. I’m mostly considering alternate breaker suites.

MaxXimum Massacre

Event Event (22)

3x Déjà Vu
3x I’ve Had Worse
3x Inject
1x Levy AR Lab Access •••
3x Retrieval Run
2x Showing Off
2x Stimhack
3x Sure Gamble
2x Wanton Destruction
Hardware Hardware (7)

3x Clone Chip ••••• •
2x Grimoire
2x MemStrips
Resource Resource (3)

3x Same Old Thing
Icebreaker Icebreaker (8)

2x Corroder
2x Crypsis
2x Mimic
2x Yog.0
Program Program (8)

2x Incubator
3x Magnum Opus ••••• •
2x Medium
1x Nerve Agent

Damn. I was running lucky and day. Also inject, since since I was only running 4 breakers. hmmm. Have to try again.

idk if anyone’s been following, but MaxX has been winning some Store Champs, sizes around 20 players. those aren’t huge tournaments, but I was wondering stimhack thoughts on this. nrdb/reddit takes these as validation for maxx as an ID. I don’t put any stock in those communities’ opinions. personally I am assuming these wins are due partially to some weaker fields in those tournaments, and bad corp play. one deck apparently went 7-0 with maxx; i’m sorry but in a field that’s not drastically different from worlds, I don’t see how any runner deck, much less maxx, can go 7-0 without other factors at work.

in general I think with any new Runner deck, players should test against @bblum and his BS Glacier. if you can win 3/5 games, maybe you’re onto something. if not, just play @Calimsha’s Shaper list =D

1 Like

The Eater + F*$%k y$^ rig is up soooooo fast. This is disgusting.

The Eater rig will wreck you if you simply try to defend against it. It’s horrible at getting into remotes and you need to punish them for that. I can see the deck winning several tournaments but I think corps can bring it in line after adjusting their ice.

2 Likes

Eh, my runner deck was 6-1 at an SC while I still cared yesterday; the only loss was sheer bad luck vs. HBFA that drew everything he needed in the right order (7-6 AP loss). A roll of the dice the other way and my RDI would have found pay dirt. Wins: IG, NEH, Titan, NEH, HBFA, Titan; I was at the top table all day after the first IG guy, so it was the cream of the local meta crop, including at least one Nats top-8 player and other top-32 folks.

That said, it wasn’t MaxX so veering OT. I do think that since The New Anarch Tricks are… well…new that success with them right now is higher than it will be once they’re better understood. Once Crisium Grid is everywhere like Jackson, this ish will be harder.

4 Likes

Not sure why people are surprised.

For specirfic deck tweaks, Maxx’s ability reads: Get a 5th click used only for drawing cards. 12 influence, since you auto-include Levy.

After playing a bit (and relying on rapidly getting my SMC to be permanent econ before cards run out), I’m now convinced 45 cards is the way to. The extra consistency is amazing.

1 Like

Yeah MaxX is as good as I was expecting her to be - extremely.

You also mill two of your cards which is EXTREMELY good for consistency (arguably better than the draw). Combined with her draw they solve Anarch econ and consistency problems in an elegant manner.

What’s your current list Xenasis? I’d like to start playing MaxX ASAP but I can’t build her myself.

The list I was just testing today was - http://netrunner.meteor.com/decks/85eCuoYSnLtRcaHYy/

Definitely can be improved though (it may just get wrecked by Wraparound too - NEH matchup is currently untested though I think it’ll be fine if Wraparound isn’t too big of a problem), the changes I wish to try are here - http://netrunner.meteor.com/decks/MRj5QhuQXqYWkHfpx/ (though the list is VERY imperfect - if Wraparound turns out to be a massive problem then fitting in a Corroder is a necessarily evil)

Want to also try a non-Power Nap one (which is probably better, it’s just surprising that the Nap one did so well so I want to give it a try the whole way) like this or something - http://netrunner.meteor.com/decks/9q5FqMTJXKK3nMkt9/

You can probably build one with non-Eater breakers too but Eater has exceeded expectations, so I want to play around with it for a while until I’m seriously unhappy.

Just today, three SCs have been taken down by max decks that all look surprisingly similar:

2 siphon
1+ amped up
2+ wontons
1 hades
3 eater
1+ femme
0 or 3 knight
2 keyhole

All I have to say is…

13 Likes

Caprice, caprice,caprice

1 Like

hey man, preaching to the choir. I just want these decks to play your bootcamp glacier and cry.

and why the hell aren’t people playing your deck… if calimsha pp dog is the new runner hotness, your deck is the new corp hotness. win a few store champs yourself already ben ;D

i think your deck could probably handle maxx without crisium, but teching with it is a great call

I haven’t tested the matchup yet but it doesn’t actually seem winnable without crisium. Knifed is a pretty big threat.

The Maxx deck barely beat a Crisium Grid Blue Sun Mushin Deck in the final game of the pdx tournament to jump to 1st. Had it lost the game it would have finished 6th actually. (there was no cut which probably would have changed things quite a bit)

I’m not convinced that the deck can beat Caprice RP either but I need to actually test the match-up more. I went 5-0 with RP in the tournament and the one Maxx I played I never felt in danger of losing I had caprice on HQ and taxed R&D like crazy. I won the game 7-0 iirc. I think the largest threat is that you can’t ice archives turn 1 very easily so they can have explosive R. Run plays if they happen to mill the right card and have RR in hand.

7 Likes

So what I’ve found to be the best counter-counter to Crisium/Caprice is to just play one-of standard breakers and to murder their ice as quick as possible. You really don’t want to be standing behind a Wraparound with Eater only as well. So here is my modified MaxX deck:

Heaven or Hell - Let’s Rock!

MaxX: Maximum Punk Rock (Order and Chaos)

Event (27)
1x Account Siphon (Core Set)[color=#4169E1] ••••[/color]
3x Day Job (Order and Chaos)
3x Déjà Vu (Core Set)
2x Forked (Order and Chaos)
3x I’ve Had Worse (Order and Chaos)
2x Knifed (Order and Chaos)
1x Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control)[color=#32CD32] •••[/color]
3x Planned Assault (Honor and Profit)[color=#4169E1] ••••• •[/color]
2x Retrieval Run (Future Proof)
1x Singularity (Double Time)
2x Spooned (Order and Chaos)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
1x Wanton Destruction (Order and Chaos)

Hardware (3)
3x Prepaid VoicePAD (Second Thoughts)

Resource (7)
1x Hades Shard (First Contact)[color=#708090] •[/color]
3x Liberated Account (Trace Amount)
3x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)

Icebreaker (5)
1x Corroder (Core Set)
3x Eater (Order and Chaos)
1x Femme Fatale (Core Set)[color=#4169E1] •[/color]

Program (5)
2x D4v1d (The Spaces Between)
3x Keyhole (True Colors)

15 influence spent (max 15)
47 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Order and Chaos

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

The main difference over others is the 3x Planned Assaults, this allows you to fetch your Siphon/Cutlery events quickly. Especially after a Levy. All the events makes PPVP is the way to go too. What you really don’t want are Eve Campaigns with two upgrades setting behind 3-iced remotes that will soon become a scoring remote. You’ll have to Singularity it and to pray that’s not a Caprice or Crisium Grid.

1 Like

I won a store championship last night (Game Gurus, Seattle, 20 players) with this MaxX deck. I was sorta hating it a lot (made it in a hurry that morning, played it once), but I went 5-2 with it.

MaxX: Maximum Punk Rock (Order and Chaos)

Event (23)
2x Déjà Vu (Core Set)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
3x Retrieval Run (Future Proof)
1x Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control) •••
1x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
1x Singularity (Double Time)
3x Lucky Find (Double Time) ••••• •
3x I’ve Had Worse (Order and Chaos)
2x Wanton Destruction (Order and Chaos)
3x Day Job (Order and Chaos)
1x Spooned (Order and Chaos)

Hardware (7)
2x Grimoire (Core Set)
2x Clone Chip (Creation and Control) ••••
3x Prepaid VoicePAD (Second Thoughts)

Resource (2)
2x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)

Icebreaker (9)
1x Corroder (Core Set)
2x Yog.0 (Core Set)
2x Femme Fatale (Core Set) ••
1x Morning Star (What Lies Ahead)
3x Eater (Order and Chaos)

Program (5)
2x Datasucker (Core Set)
1x Medium (Core Set)
2x Parasite (Core Set)

15 influence spent (maximum 15)
46 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Order and Chaos

In 7 games I installed Eater once, and never used it to break a sub. Spooned was never used. In two games (1 of the losses) I lost my Levy and all cards that could recur it, so ended with zero cards.

Medium won me two of the games (one versus NEH). Wanton Destruction kicked butt against everybody. In the final championship game I played a Cambridge style PE, and was able to get great use out of Singularity and I’ve Had Worse. I was sorely wishing I had Keyhole instead of Medium in that matchup. That game came down to me stealing a Philotic late in the game putting me up 6-1 but down to three cards in hand at end of turn with a 3-advanced card on the table. My opponent Neural Emp’ed me click one, and hit the 1/3 I’ve Had Worse, saving me from dying to the Ronin. Yes, a bit of luck was required :blush: .

Anyway, I’d definitely revamp this deck after piloting it for 7 games. Not sure where it’s going. But thought I’d share the data. Definitely 2 SOT’s, 2 Deja’s, and 1 Levy is not enough, at least in this deck. Maybe Those decks listed above with the Keyholes and Siphons are able to win more quickly. They look really good.

4 Likes

I faced two MaxX decks at today’s SC with a list very close to yours (I have 1x Wormhole and 2/2 Caduceus/Errand Boy). I made the top 8 cut after 5 rounds of Swiss (21 players), but got knocked out in the game for top 4 by a friend of mine with his Gabe in a close game that I didn’t play perfectly.

One of the MaxX games was a loss, the other was a win. In the first, I only saw one Crisium Grid and put it on HQ, since HQ was weak, I had agendas, and I didn’t want to get Wantoned. Keyhole eventually outpaced my Jacksons and I lost. In the second game, I saw two Crisiums and an Interns. A Singularity run blew up my first attempt to score, but with Keyhole and Wanton locked out there wasn’t much the MaxX player could do.

1 Like

You Haven’t lived until you drop Cerebral Static on turn one and when they finally have Eater up kill it with Swordsman. The cherry on the sunday was having him hit Komainu with 10 cards in hand and only 3 credits.

5 Likes

You Haven’t lived until you drop Cerebral Static on turn one and when they finally have Eater up kill it with Swordsman. The cherry on the sunday was having him hit Komainu with 10 cards in hand and only 3 credits.

Never change :wink:

2 Likes