Valencia, the combo Anarch?

Thanks for your suggestions, but Demo Run is a card that wins me games regularly. I will definitely keep it in.
This deck (or its pre-NRE version) won me a GNK and went to top 8 in Regionals. So I tend to assume, I know what I am talking about. In this deck, D4v1d would be nothing but an extremely unsustainable Blue Sun Counter. A mere silver bullet. Not worth it.

APart from that, Blackmail actually is probably the card I discard most of the time (apart from excess Wyldside and similar). In chess the saying goes that the threat is worse than its execution. As long as I can threat the Blackmail, I have reached what I wanted.

1 Like

Winning a GNK and Top 8ing a Regionals doesn’t mean a deck is perfect, or even good. What is Demo Run doing for you that’s so powerful?

3 Likes

Certainly it doesnt state it is perfect, but I just wanted to make the point clear that this is not an untested deck with some jank.
This deck is able to run effectively for free. You have the Bad pub. You have Yog. You have Ice Carver + Datasuckers. You have Net-Ready Eyes. Let-alone the other efficient Anarch Breakers. There are also Cyberfeeder Credits as well as Parasites to kill stuff like Tollbooth.
You will be able to run R&D 3 or even four times repeatedly. Demo run not only kills annoying stuff (in particular, it trashes Crisium Grid for free), it gives you a whole bunch of cards to access. Might sound like win more, but
a Demo Run usually forces RP players to spend a Nisei token if they have one. Demo Run also combos nicely with Turntable.
But the games where Demo run is not winning more but actually winning games is against NEH Fastrobiotics or other Fast-Advance decks. Those extra 4 or more cards you see can and often enough do make the difference between winning and losing.

If you get a Medium up to 3 counters you should generally win anyway, even against faster decks. Blackmail is worth maxing out on because a lot of players will just try to rush an agenda in the earlygame, hoping that you don’t have it.

5 Likes

Just from my more than hundred games played with just that deck:
people rarely if ever try to rush out stuff. That doesn’t mean they shouldnt. But
they dont.

current version looks like this:

vall

Valencia Estevez: The Angel of Cayambe (Order and Chaos)

Event (14)
3x Blackmail (Fear and Loathing)
3x Career Fair (Breaker Bay) [color=#4169E1]•••[/color]
2x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
3x I’ve Had Worse (Order and Chaos)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)

Hardware (5)
2x Clone Chip (Creation and Control) [color=#32CD32]••••[/color]
2x Desperado (Core Set) [color=#4169E1]••••• •[/color]
1x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)

Resource (15)
2x Adjusted Chronotype (The Valley)
3x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)
2x Ice Carver (Core Set)
2x Kati Jones (Humanity’s Shadow)
3x Liberated Account (Trace Amount)
1x Scrubber (A Study in Static)
2x Wyldside (Core Set)

Icebreaker (7)
2x Corroder (Core Set)
2x Mimic (Core Set)
2x Yog.0 (Core Set)
1x ZU.13 Key Master (What Lies Ahead) [color=#32CD32]••[/color]

Program (9)
1x Clot (The Valley)
3x Datasucker (Core Set)
2x Medium (Core Set)
3x Parasite (Core Set)
15 influence spent (max 15)
50 cards (min 50)
Cards up to Breaker Bay

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

it could be missing something, but it’s pretty stellar
edit: was running with inject/earthrise, this feels better, helps churn through the deck without paige piper (who i find lackluster)
edit2: on further play, some real what were you thinking stuff with the 2x wyldecakes combo. has to be 3x

If you haven’t lost to RP with this list, then you haven’t played against enough RP with this list.

2 Likes

I kindof destroy RP with this list on the reg
most of my (few) stimhack league wins were this val vs rp

I’m sorry, what?

1 Like

Demo run increases the chances of hitting an agenda, therefore increasing the chances of using Turntable and f*cking up the Corps’ plans.

Certainly, I know this number will not hold forever… Still I feel that chances against RP
are really really good…

Demo Run clears R&D (when coupled with Medium, that is). Demo Run is a Medium-R&D-lock tool, it doesn’t really increase the possibility of hitting an agenda.

It does in a Val deck, though, I’m not sure I would run it.

Against RP you put the corp into a bad place. Caprice on R&D or caprice on remote. If on R&D then you can blackmail remotes. And if the other way around you can blackmail R&D. Once the suite is down this may turn into an opportunity in the deck above to also swap Niseis in the RP match up.

Results overblown. Probably.

@MVT, that looks really solid.

1 Like

How is Demo Run R&D lock?
Assume you have Medium with 4 tokens, Demo Run R&D. You trash all the cards and see 5 rather than 1 new card next run, which effectively increases the chances of hitting an agenda…

Sure, but if you’ve amassed 3 Medium tokens (pre-Demo Run) and you can afford to run R&D twice in a row (+2 creds for Demo), you’ve very likely got this game in the bag anyway. That said, Demo Run does have some decent utility against RP, as you can trash a TFP after you fail the psi game. I’m not sure that makes it worth the include, though, especially in a post-Crick world where getting that TFP out of Archives may be just as much of a hassle.

1 Like

I am only talking about my decklist. When it is set up, you run for more or less free. And as RP is not the rushiest Corp, you will get set up. You find yourself able to run R&D up to four times without a lot of hassle. Unless the Corp purges every turn, which he obviously wont, you even find a medium with more tokens.
Another thing is that Demo Run is also a kind of economy. If you can trash Jacksons, Mental Health Clinic, Crisium Grid, Sundew, Ash… for free, it is still great.
Anyway, while you guys appear to not like the card (what would you play instead?), I simply love it.

Particularly in matchpoint-NEH matches it is awesome.

Considering Crick: That run costs me exactly one Datasucker token (NRE+Yog+Ice Carver). That is manageable…

You’ve not played against @spags. In a SC game he never let me have more than 1 medium counter at a time.

3 Likes

Using CVS? Because if he just purges, how does he not just lose to drawing out? Unless he has multiple Mandatory Upgrades, ofc :slight_smile:

He eventually got the caprice onto R&D. But if all you’re doing is running R&D that’s not especially hard to fight. These days, cvs, crisium grid, and clearing are going to be happening at top level tiers of play.

I hear what you’re saying and having played a lot of val it sounds indicative of your opponents being low - mid-range talent.

One of the opponents who got crushed by that deck’s predecessor went on to win the Regionals…
And just to repeat again, once this deck is set up, it runs for next to nothing. That means I have the stamina to eventually win the Psi Game on R&D. And Crisium? Either I have the money to trash it (Kati ftw!) or there is… Demo Run…