Going Against the Grain: Reg-Ass Maxx

I lull people into thinking I’m a bad player by installing memstrips. :wink:

MIND GAMES^TM

8 Likes

I like Memstrips

6 Likes

Please, don’t make Dan die.

2 Likes

I think for Stimhack League IV everyone should include memstrips in their decks, regardless of faction or deck type.

8 Likes

Next level metagaming:

1. Play Memstrips
  2. Dan has an aneurysm.
  3. Win Worlds!
7 Likes

We’ll make a special trophy, The Golden Memstrip. Dan will present it to the winner of future SHL’s. :wink:

1 Like

Gets out band aid & gold spray paint.

Edit: For You Dan

4 Likes

I know most of the posts regarding the subject are jokey, this comment may well be, and Dan covered most of the reasons why the comment is fallacious, but I see the argument enough that I want to poke a hole on it.

There are some cases where it’d be better than Grimoire, but let’s make up some numbers about cards without names or properties a second here:

Card A is useful in 75% of games
Card B is useful in 15% of games, but is 50% more effective than Card A

Obviously, it’s easy to see that you would rather have Card A in your deck. Hedge Fund is useful in almost every situation, and though Foxfire might be better than it in some games/matchups/situations, that doesn’t mean we should cut Hedge Fund for Foxfire, and this is essentially the same thing but a little less noticeable because the disparity between the strength of Hedge Fund and Foxfire is so much bigger.

This is really important in any deckbuilding and it’s something lots of people fall prey to. What you’re trying to build is the best deck in general, the deck that wins you the most games in total, even if in one edge case you perform slightly worse than with another card, what matters is the overall figure.

tl;dr - You shouldn’t shoot yourself in the foot with a rocket launcher, and for the same reasons, you probably shouldn’t shoot yourself in the foot with a pistol either.

6 Likes

Then what am I going to do with all these feet then?

5 Likes

Put Memstrips shaped shoes on them?

1 Like

Pull yourself up by your memstraps?

12 Likes

Memstrips goes in anarch decks with morning star. They’re close to being viable decks at the moment, especially because one of the few ways to make Kate worry about your ice is to play lots of barriers on the same server or lots of code gates on different servers. Big Rig runners aren’t unreasonable, they need MU.

With Blue Sun being so strong, Morning Star has never been weaker.

It’s a decent choice now actually, it does lots of work against everything but Blue Sun, and Blue Sun isn’t the strongest Corp about (and I’d personally rate RP and ETF above it). Obviously, you still don’t want to rely on it and don’t have it as your only breaker, but there’s a lot of HB about with NEXT Silver and such, and there’s not as much of a hurry any more like versus NEH. I’m not sure how competitive it is but I know that people have been testing it in Reg Ass and seeing good results (though there is so much to test right now). It’s more playable now, but I’m not convinced it’s optimal yet. It is a runner card that costs more than 5 which means you should be very sceptical.

That being said, Morning Star does not make Memstrips any better. Just play Grimoire: it’s all you’ll ever need for MU, and makes Parasite and Medium a tonne better.

If Memstrips cost 2 would it be awesome?

I struggle to understand how they balance this game at times. More good cards seems better to me.

Overmind concerns? Who knows.

Oh, wait, I was a playtester.

1 Like

Dan, I was literally laughing for a minute. Brilliant.

Can I blame you for Capstone?

3 Likes

Uh, no. I was Lunar through the box after SanSan. Blame me for Domestic Sleepers and DBS not being completely broken.

1 Like

think you’ll be waiting forever for that blame

1 Like