Philadelphia Regionals 2014 1st Place Report

I am probably the same.

3 Likes

Just about as bad as getting Scorched twice. I don’t see Badtimes being much of a player outside of maybe a 1-of in CI to punish tag floaters in conjunction with an Archived Memories. If it’s good anywhere else I expect it to be Midseasons, but if they’re tagging you with $8 you have other problems.

3 Likes

netdecked these lists and played em for the first time on OCTGN today. won 1-0 as runner vs MN, 1-1 as Corp vs Prepaid Andy. I should have lost both corp games probably; I need to learn to play RP slower

“Slamming the table dude” ? Now I am curious.

Excellent write up. What a turn out for the tournament.(91 players!!!). Congrats, you should be extremely proud of yourself, that is a huge accomplishment.

I saw you streaming/practicing a bunch on OCTGN, and it really paid off for you big.

Personal side note, On the other hand, I can’t wait for this Upstalk cycle to start, we have been on this same format for Honor and Profit for several months now, and I really am excited for new things to come along.

10 Likes

One of the players at the top table for a few rounds during swiss was very expressive and would slam the table with the punchline to his jokes. It was jovial, but still annoying when your dice start jumping mid-game.

Unbelievably annoying. Other stuff he was saying irritated me as well, but I won’t get into it here.

1 Like

95% sure he tried to grab an extra credit against me on purpose, (used single credits on a kati jones to indicate multiples of 3, took money off her when she had 1 credit, signifying 3 credits, took 4 from the bank). He definitely counted the money before taking it; it’s sort of hard for a human being to fuck up 4 vs 3 by accident even if I didn’t see him count them. I just told him not to fucking do it again. Wasn’t going to call him out in the article but if we’re all railing on him here, why the fuck not.

5 Likes

Was he from New York City?

2 Likes

I am not sure, I got the impression he was from the Philly area, but Dan didn’t know him. He kept going on about how it was “his regionals” and that he had heard there were two other regionals winners there (me and Chris Hinkes) and how we were pussys/jerkoffs etc. for already winning and then coming to HIS regionals. Never mind that Philly is literally the closest regional for myself, and I believe Chris as well. Again, I wasn’t going to bring any of this up, but fuck it, he was annoying. I was playing @jerklin (who is one of the most calm, level headed people I have met) and he had to ask the kid to stop carrying on and hitting the table because it was disturbing our dice. I am glad he said something, I was about to go ballistic.

3 Likes

Sounds almost like a real-life troll; doesn’t sound like a real person. Now, I applaud his trying to dissuade people from using dice, but his other behaviour is ridiculous.

4 Likes

Don’t anyone dare to come to MY worlds. :smiley:

4 Likes

Agree re the dice thing. I really consider using dice to track credits and other variables to be a form of soft angle-shooting. Attempting to opacify, whether intentionally or not, what is explicitly stated as shared information, increases the cognitive load for the opponent in a cheap fashion. I don’t want to have to constantly monitor whether your credit dice are in the correct position. It ain’t hard to track stuff with tokens, and it’s harder to screw up and much easier to detect mistakes and/or cheating.

Sorry Team Covenant et al, but I feel the same about the multi-denomination bullshit. Ones and fives, people. There’s a reason poker chips exist in the denominations they do (in fact, I use whites and reds to track my creds because those little cardboard chits are a tad annoying for a ham-fisted ogre like myself). I can look at a stack of red and white poker chips and quickly know the total. Let’s all try to provide that convenience to each other and let play skill, deckbuilding skill, and Lady Luck decide the results, as intended.

Or we can just all play on OCTGN all the time…

3 Likes

If my opponent is using dice I can see how much money they have all the time. If they are using tokens I have to ask them. I know which I prefer to be sitting across from. It’s a taste thing. It’s nothing to do with trying to pull a fast one.

5 Likes

The worst? Those broken egg ones. Guy who won WI Regional was using them. He stacked them in groups of 5, but, still, they were a panoply of confusion to most.

2 Likes

If your opponent is keeping a giant pile of ones slopped all over the place, you might have a point, but that’s also a jerky way to track your credits.

The issue with dice is not that you can’t see the numbers, it’s how easy it is to make a mistake or cheat when changing the numbers, and how difficult it is to rewind game state when a dispute occurs or someone sneezes or drops one (by accident or “by accident”) etc.

Personally, I would prefer an OCTGN-style HUD emblazoned in flaming blood on my opponent’s forehead, but others might find it distracting…

My opponents make neat lines of 5 credits each so I started doing it too. I used to use dice, but I made at least one major mistake (to my DISadvantage).

It’s funny how you bring this up in a thread where the one guy who’s cheating is using credit tokens, not dice. Personally, I don’t care too much what people use, as long as I can clearly see how many there are, (if they’re not using dice, stacking in groups of 5 is fine, but most people who use tokens have to be asked to do this).

Credits are equally difficult to rewind the game state for. If you want a paper trail, you sort of have to use paper. I am pretty sick of this attitude towards dice. I find it to be much easier/faster/clearer and don’t notice dice-opponents to be any shadier in general than token-opponents. Let people play how they want.

The way people keep track of their credits is not indicative of cheating. You can cheat pretty much no matter how you keep track, and the only thing you can do to prevent this sort of thing is to make sure you can easily tell how many credits your opponent has at all times and double check their math; (simple computational errors are going to happen no matter what anyway, so in a tournament, even against someone you trust entirely, you should always be doing this).

8 Likes

I am not saying that people who use dice are more likely to cheat. That’s why I described it as angle shooting (even “soft” angle shooting), which is distinct from cheating.

I’m saying: A) it’s easier to cheat with dice than credits; B) tracking with dice makes it harder for your opponent to keep up with board state.

As you yourself pointed out, the (quite possibly justified, I wasn’t there) target of the current 2-minute hate attempted to cheat with credits… And it was pretty easy to detect.

I prefer to play against opponents who track their credits with neat stacks of 1’s and 5’s. I don’t make the game rules and you don’t have to agree (obv).

1 Like

I disagree. At least partially. I use a spin-down D20 (or three, if I’m the Corp and have some spare change), and it’s so much easier for me to keep track of that way than with tokens. Of course, a series of D6s all turned in various ways is also a nuisance, but… if anything, it’s easier to keep track when you can look and see the number instantly. Both of my credits and those of my opponent.

1 Like