Red Sand Cycle: We're finally going to Mars!

2 Likes

Ingrained on every micro transistor. Hate.

3 Likes

Is anyone concerned that barriers are now just sentries with a different subtype.

1 Like

Its an interesting question. It could have several implications:

• Rush becomes much stronger as facechecking becomes more dangerous.
  • For similar reasons maybe glacier becomes a little better? Increased tempo hit to the runner allows the corp to progress board state further.
  • AI breakers become stronger. Though personaly I don’t think they are quiet as good in the current meta as they have been.
  • For a while now there has been a trend towards really cheap gear check barriers like vanilla and resistor because rezzing bigger barriers can often be a bigger tempo hit to the corp than runner. Spikey barriers go someway to redressing this.

Personally I welcome this change. Lots of folks have been complaining of late how ice isn’t as relevant as it has been and this looks like a step in the right direction. Though I’m interested to hear other peoples opinions.

2 Likes

I actually don’t think that ice will be as scary as it first looked, it gets caught out by Sharpshooter for one, and more importantly you’ll never trash thier fracter with it, which is normally the key breaker for Weyland (and often the first installed).

Personally, I’ll be splashing it in Jinteki and aiming to score behind code gates.

2 Likes

Yeah its a bit off, on the other hand something was needed to make barriers relevant.

Personally I think it would have been better if they’d leaned more on the ‘something happens when you break these subs’ as a barrier theme but it appears to be on code gates as well going into red sands.

No. These new barriers are pretty fierce, but they aren’t any Sentrier than Wall of Thorns, Heimdall, Markus, Galahad, or Wotan, nor do they particularly harm the runner in ways that those ice couldn’t.

2 Likes

Which ones specifically?

I think Weyland has one that is on the line, and it will probably see a ton of play.

And although barriers are becoming bigger and more taxing, I don’t think they are occupying too much of the sentry pie.

The first Triple? And… oh my… who can explain how Adjusted Matrix works? :slight_smile:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/12/7/earths-scion/

5 Likes

I think a lot of the upsides of AgInfusion have already been noted (e.g. how a sufficiently well-protected server could be impenetrable without some kind of trick/Employee Strike if you’re willing to trash enough ice), but let me just say: AgInfusion plus Friends in High Places seems super goofy.

Also, the idea of an icebreaker you don’t want to use is very cool, and very Anarch.

3 Likes

Adjusted Matrix is so, so good for Kit.

I love all the high-cost build-around cards, they really make for interesting decks. Excited for the cycle!

2 Likes

Assuming Adjusted Matrix still means the icebreaker’s strength matters: Deusted Matrex, anyone?

2 Likes

Explore Space
Put some ICE there
Advance it
Have some people run around
Takeover Government
After party with snacks
??? kill some fool, probably
Profit
Profit again

1 Like

More cool cards! A lot of build around stuff which doesn’t seem immediately op which is nice. I hope we get something other than GT (maybe an ICE) for Red Planet Couriers to combo with.

Also, there’s gotta be a cool way of using Persephone. Works well on Komainu.

If recursion and or Levy is part of my game plan, I run non-lethal multi-sub ICE with Persephone all day - if I can trade cards from top of deck at 3:1 or more and have a plan to not deck myself? I make that trade 9 times out of 10.

Add Bhagat. Add Noise. Etc. A Mill deck based on running sounds much less “OH GOD NO” then a dedicated DLR cheese deck.

Shall we assume that there’ll be further ‘Underworld’ icebreakers with a TERRIBLE PRICE TO PAY? Shall we expect Eurydice? maybe Odysseus? They’ve already done Cerberus…

Elsewhere - Adjusted Matrix seems a lot better until you think about e3 Feedback Implants rotating relatively soon, and about some of the ‘AI HATE’ ICE that’s been popping up. Jury’s out for me.

As for Red Planet Couriers…I gotta say the idea of Mushin-ing a trap being something like an actual a win-win is appealing int he extreme.

4 Likes

Persephone isn’t a mill card, it is an denial/ice destruction card. Who wouldn’t install over a pup if the runner suddenly can trash 2 cards from R&D by paying two? Or don’t bother rezzing it at all?

2 Likes

Actually, it would be kind of cool if there was a new Overadvance-and-it-does-stuff Weyland agenda. A Atlas could be a fun target for a Red Planet Couriers, if just so you have possibly all the tutors. If only Project Beale was a Weyland (or neutral) agenda…

But man, this feels like the card that should’ve been printed alongside Builders of Nations, since advancing ICE is now actually moving towards a victory condition. Throw some ICE out there, advance it a bit, and then score a early 5/3 (maybe a Cleaners?) doesn’t seem too terrible.

EDIT: Oh, right… anyone else remember Builder? That thing might actually be kind of nasty now.

This is advanced jank. >rimshot<

Seriously though, anything that makes advancement ice less of a joke is okay in my book. I do believe this is the first time I’ve heard anyone say anything even remotely positive about Builder, of all ice.

Also, Mushin’d Junebugs. Just, everywhere. Oh man I’m getting excited; imagine a shell-game weyland where you lose if you die to junebug, you lose if you do nothing and let them score out, you lose if you steal a GT and get punitive’d, and you lose if you let a trap/ice get too many advancements.

Throw in an extra click and you’re fast-advancing GT before you can say janktastic.

fanboi squeal

EDIT: Between the no-win-scenario Junebug threat and Boom! being everywhere, I could see Guru being actually somewhat okay to play. Horrible against PU, but I haven’t met anyone teching against that anyways.

1 Like

That’s because you really don’t have to tech against PU if you have trash money and draw and are willing to treat your deck as a big pool of hit points.

Also, I look forward to attempting a Mushin-Junebug-Punitive 4-agenda BoN deck. Once you score a naked Vanity Project, they have to check your next mushined card. Of course, there may not be enough influence left for a full suite of Jacksons, but that’s just practice for rotation, right? All that red might make Heritage Committee an option…,

(side note: all those double letters make “committee” a fun word; now if only it could be “ccoommiittee”)